Growing Grass Seed In The Fall - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2015, 09:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 744

Growing grass seed in the fall

Hi there,

I live on Long Island and I had my lawn aerated and overseeded earlier this week. Temps have dropped this weekend to highs in the mid 50's and overnight lows in the low 40's and maybe even 30's. Come Tuesday and Wednesday it will be in the 60's and 70's again.

Do you think that I will be ok and that the seeds will germinate? Can overnight frost kill them, or will they just remain dormant until the weather warms up?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.
harpua728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2015, 03:09 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 26

The soil is ready, the site is level, and the watering system is in place — now you can plant the seed. You can Spread the seed,Top-dress the seed to hold moisture,Roll the surface,Water & Protect the seedbed.
OscarKane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2015, 06:09 AM   #3
PE Mechanical Engineer

Rewards Points: 862

You're seeding really, really late, but you might get lucky. Keep the seed mulched with straw or burlap if you can to protect it from night frost. There is a big risk now that your seed will germinate and then get wiped out by a hard frost.

You may want to wait until the ground freezes and cast seed just before a snow event. The seed will stay dormant until the spring, but it will get started as soon as it possibly can in the spring.
Thunder Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2015, 05:55 PM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,340

Ayuh,.... I've seeded through snow, 'n had growin' grass when it melted,....

Don't worry 'bout it,.... Mother Nature will take care of it,....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 12:34 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 16

Sowing grass seed in your lawn encourages new grass growth, filling in bare patches and revitalizing your lawn. You can sow the seed over bare patches in your lawn or into areas with existing grass, allowing new grass to grow and prevent dull or slow-growing grass from making your lawn appear uneven.
AllenPKang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement