Grilling Area On Patio? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-28-2009, 08:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Grilling area on Patio?

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on making a "grilling area" on a patio?

We have a 20 x 20 square patio, but I would like to have almost like a grilling area of the patio. I was thinking of making one corner wall using allan blocks, but just wanted to get some other ideas or suggestions..

Cost has to be low and something an average diy can do???

Thanks
ddave23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2009, 10:31 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 586

Quote:
We have a 20 x 20 square patio, but I would like to have almost like a grilling area of the patio. I was thinking of making one corner wall using allan blocks,
Ayuh,...

What are you starting with,..??
Is this strictly for Decor, or is Untility a consideration,..??
What's going to be on the Other side of the Blocks,..?? What's the terrain,..??
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2009, 11:15 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,002

keep the grill away from the house especially with vinyl siding,i know it sounds obvious but fixing melted panels in a fairly common repair
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2009, 02:00 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

I was thinking of doing something very similar. How does the adhesive hold up? I used some when having to build up one corner of my patio and I was surprised how strong it was but that was block on block. I am a little concerned when building it up higher on the sides of the plywood?
rtibbs4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:32 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by homecarecentral View Post
Grilling areas are a lot of fun, here's how I did mine, to create more of a built in feel with the grill.
1. remove the side tables from grill, or remove one, if you have a side burner, this isn't necessary, but is helpful in the next step

2. put the grill in place, wherever you'd like it (away from house for ventilation and avoiding fire hazards)

3. Use pressure treated 2x4's as a frame going up to the level of the grill, constructing essentially a box, around 3 feet or more from each side of the grill.

4. seal the bottom off with plywood, add gravel or something for weight.
5. seal the rest with plywood (pressure treated)
6.Seal the plywood using natural deck sealant, or something in that array.
7.use brick or stone facing, really cheap, and apply it with construction adhesive, can be done in half an hour if you're quick.
8.use porcelain tile a top as a counter, you could also used poured concrete, but that's very difficult.
9.there you have a darn nice built in grill area, you can make it as extreme as you want, addinig coolers countersunk into the counter, or sinks, etc.
homecare, does your grill have an insulated bottom? what about the heat generated from the bottom of the grill and the vent holes? how does your wood counter protect itself from the heat and spark?

you mentioned plywood, but the only thing i've ever seen in wood counters with grills was that the person covered it with cement backing instead of ply...

your thoughts?
timmyb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement