Grass Issues - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-15-2015, 03:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 34

Grass issues

Hello all. Recently installed a fence and they dumped the post hole dirt in my front yard to try and level it out. Problem is the dirt is all clay. I leveled the clay as best as possible and bought topsoil and compost and tried to mix it all in. Dropped some grass seed and waited. Nothing. I'm guess it's because of all the clay but I have no idea. Is this salvageable?

http://imgur.com/1ANwF6E
untilcomplete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2015, 03:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,518

I doubt the soil is the problem for seed germination but it can determine what it does post germination.. Grass seed isn't nearly as persnickety about soil type for germination as it is about soil contact, soil temperature and soil moisture.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2015, 04:06 PM   #3
Knows Enough to be Danger

Rewards Points: 1,219

It looks like decent soil. And even if it was junk, you'd see something.

How long has it been? Warm temps? Watered properly?
NickTheGreat is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2015, 05:12 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 34

Watered twice a day for a few days and then we started getting rain in MD. Im gonna try a new seed. I used an old bag of seed so that may have something to do with it.
untilcomplete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 09:04 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 818

I certainly agree with the others that that soil doesn't look that bad. The old seed certainly isn't helping your problem and depending on what part of Maryland you are in the weather may not have been warm enough yet for it to germinate.
austinbest (04-16-2015)
Old 04-15-2015, 09:16 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,579

Use new seed. Yes. Definitely. Shoot for 4 seeds per square inch. Rake it lightly into the soil and cover it with mulch. Water frequently, but just enough to get the seeds damp.

You said you "dropped some seed". I'm imagining it all washing away in the rain and getting eaten by birds.
mathmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 10:50 PM   #7
TruproServices.com

Rewards Points: 80

What type of grass seed and when did you spread the seed?
TruproServices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:51 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 541

Optimum time for NEW grass from germination in your zone is in the Fall, plant generally late August through late September.

You can be successful in the Spring, BUT you need to LIGHTLY water --- heavy MIST --- twice a day, and you need to mulch with something, either peat moss or straw. Seeds must be in firm contact with the soil --- they are not going to germinate, for the most part, just by being stewn over soil. Once seed is up, if planted in Spring, survival is going to be dicey, and will depend on how hot and soon summer booms in, and how much time and attention you give to watering.

It doesn't appear from your photo that there is much grade, but if there is, heavy rain even for a few hours can wash most seed away. That's why box stores sell "blankets" and other aids for grade situations. Good luck.
Curmudgeon10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement