Grass Growing Extremely Fast, What Can I Use? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Trying2learn

Old 04-17-2017, 08:37 PM   #1

Grass growing extremely fast, what can i use?

My Aunt was paying a gentleman $100 to cut grass every 2 weeks. Last summer she paid him 100 a couple times every week. She cant afford it this year as it seems to be growing even faster.
No rain in 3 weeks, temp only got over 80 5days in 3 weeks and overnight has been in 50s and lower the majority of time....But her yard has been cut 4 weeks in a row.

I asked the groundskeeper about these dark green strands i assume are weeds... After a fresh cut i could see them laying and that appears to be the culprit....i asked about weed kill products and he said those products destroy your yard, good grass, plants etc....

I took some pictures, forgive my cheap phone camera but hopefully you can see what im referring to. Is that what many refer to as weeds or it another type of grass growing? Is there a product i can buy to stop it that wont kill the grass, cause off colored patches etc....id hate to mess up anyone's yard. She had me cut it to save her some money...I've tried running over the grass 2 and 3 times. I know most dont recommend dropping blades low, i tried it and you can see the strands laying down in spots... therefore lowering blades still wont cut them as they appear pressed down. Those are the spots standing up first a couple days later.

Anyone know what it is from the pics and a good solution? A solution that wont harm the good spots. I have something h.depot recommended that was around $16 but after the yardman said it would mess up the yard i decided to check around more before using it. I can get name tomorrow because its in storage house. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Grass growing extremely fast, what can i use?-photogrid_1492474940519-800x640_1492479460875.jpg  
Trying2learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2017, 08:52 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,236

Re: Grass growing extremely fast, what can i use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trying2learn View Post
My Aunt was paying a gentleman $100 to cut grass every 2 weeks. Last summer she paid him 100 a couple times every week. She cant afford it this year as it seems to be growing even faster.
No rain in 3 weeks, temp only got over 80 5days in 3 weeks and overnight has been in 50s and lower the majority of time....But her yard has been cut 4 weeks in a row.

I asked the groundskeeper about these dark green strands i assume are weeds... After a fresh cut i could see them laying and that appears to be the culprit....i asked about weed kill products and he said those products destroy your yard, good grass, plants etc....

I took some pictures, forgive my cheap phone camera but hopefully you can see what im referring to. Is that what many refer to as weeds or it another type of grass growing? Is there a product i can buy to stop it that wont kill the grass, cause off colored patches etc....id hate to mess up anyone's yard. She had me cut it to save her some money...I've tried running over the grass 2 and 3 times. I know most dont recommend dropping blades low, i tried it and you can see the strands laying down in spots... therefore lowering blades still wont cut them as they appear pressed down. Those are the spots standing up first a couple days later.

Anyone know what it is from the pics and a good solution? A solution that wont harm the good spots. I have something h.depot recommended that was around $16 but after the yardman said it would mess up the yard i decided to check around more before using it. I can get name tomorrow because its in storage house. Thanks
Do you know how large her yard or yards are? Where do you live, generally? That sounds like a ridiculous price, unless it's a huge yard.

My grass has also been growing like crazy, same temps, & I asked the gardener if he was fertilizing it!

There's not much to be done except to change over to another type of garden. Talk to your aunt about another type of garden, if this doesn't get resolved.

If the yard isn't too big, you can water the previous day & then rake to bring up the blades of grass the day it's mowed. A good mower should bring the blades up, though. You might check & see if the blades are sharp on your mower.

There is a no mow grass, but I don't know how it looks. http://www.greenlivingonline.com/art...no-cut-grasses

Last edited by Nik333; 04-17-2017 at 08:57 PM.
Nik333 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2017, 09:15 PM   #3
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,168

I'm no expert but your photos look like they are showing grasses of some sort. Most common non-broad spectrum (i.e. kill everything) herbicides usually only go after broadleaf weeds. Most grasses will grow furiously this time of year - it's spring. It should settle down as summer approaches, and may spike a bit in the fall depending on the species.

Off coloured patches could be any number of things: a different type of grass, a weed, dull blade, etc.

Without knowing the property size it's hard to say but $100 seems steep. Any teenagers in the neighbourhood?
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2017, 10:55 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 818

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik333 View Post
Do you know how large her yard or yards are? Where do you live, generally? That sounds like a ridiculous price, unless it's a huge yard.

My grass has also been growing like crazy, same temps, & I asked the gardener if he was fertilizing it!

There's not much to be done except to change over to another type of garden. Talk to your aunt about another type of garden, if this doesn't get resolved.

If the yard isn't too big, you can water the previous day & then rake to bring up the blades of grass the day it's mowed. A good mower should bring the blades up, though. You might check & see if the blades are sharp on your mower.

There is a no mow grass, but I don't know how it looks. http://www.greenlivingonline.com/art...no-cut-grasses
Grass growing rapidly this time of year is nothing unusual. In many areas it even needs to be cut twice a week during late spring. As stated previously the cost she's paying sounds quite high unless the lawn is quite large.

As far as the grass that does need mowing goes, it's junk. Quite expensive and really doesn't do what they say it does. It doesn't grow up but it grows out and unless you constantly edge around sidewalks, flowerbeds etc. it will take over everything! Unfortunately there is no magic bullet grass that doesn't have some type of problem.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:06 PM   #5

Thanks for all your advice.

I'd have to estimate its closr to an acre as the back is long and wide enough for me to take 5 breaks, lol. The front is small but the small ditch and curves in the ground make it more agitating and energy depleting than other yards I've cut. I'm in Georgia and can say this rapid growth of my Aunt's yard wasnt an issue 2 years ago. I try not to be so skeptical but yes i wondered if the gardener put fertilizer down to cause the growth but......

So none of those weed kill products will safely fix the problem? I dont want the grass to not grow just not so fast, lol.

Thanks a lot.
Nik333 likes this.
Trying2learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:47 AM   #6

I don't want to rush to judgement, but it sounds like the gardener is taking advantage of your aunt. I don't know her age, but I'm glad you are helping her.Your muscles and endurance will get stronger the more you mow.

She may want to spend the money she's been spending on the gardener, on a better mower.

I reread your original post, & if it had been 3 weeks since it was watered, that may be why it lay down.

Last edited by Nik333; 04-18-2017 at 12:51 AM.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:03 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 17,912

I average $50.00 an hour when mowing including time to weed wack.
Any pro should have a Z turn and even if it's only a 48" deck should be able to knock that job out in about 1 hour.
See if you can ID your grass using this Scott's website.
https://www.scotts.com/smg/templates...tsV2GrassIdent
Old 04-18-2017, 09:33 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trying2learn View Post
i asked about weed kill products and he said those products destroy your yard, good grass, plants etc....
If that were true, many of us, including myself, would have a dead lawn. They have weed killers made for grass. Heck I recently applied crabgrass pre-emergent to prevent the crabgrass from growing. My lawn is growing fine with very little crabgrass thanks to the pre-emergent.

Where are you located? This could help better guess what type of grass you may have. I live in the north east and that looks a little like crabgrass (that's a total guess though).

Try calling a different lawn service companies for cutting and fertilizing/weed killer. Around here most people sign up with a lawn treatment service that comes multiple times per year to fertilizer and/or apply weed killer. There are also tons of landscaping companies that cut grass.
Marky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:13 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 4,170

My thought is to leave it a little taller when you mow and mow less often.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 03:05 PM   #10
HDS

Rewards Points: 318

You can use Google maps and their measuring tool to get the sq ft of the yard to get a better idea of the size. A $100 seems like an awful lot to be paying.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
HDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:23 PM   #11

You may have clumps of Tall Fescue - a taller, wider, coarser grass in with a finer grass.

Here's an article that does suggest Round-up ( Glyphosate) used to spot-kill clumps of Tall Fescue. It says that the finer grass should take over. If not, you could seed with a grass of choice. It has great photos of the bigger grass.

http://purdueturftips.blogspot.com/2...5-is-tall.html
Old 04-30-2017, 09:57 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 30

It looks like crab grass or quack grass. Yes, it grows faster than most grasses. The best way to get rid of it en mass is to prevent it with a pre-emergent fertilizer, but obviously it's too late for this year.

I would recommend cutting the grass a little lower and be patient. The growth rate slows after spring time. And shop around for another person to cut her grass. For $100, he better be cutting 3+ acres.
jstaubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:12 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 4

I live in TX and have 4 acres of grass that I cut myself. I have some older neighbors who pay to have their lawns cut,edged and weed eated. They usually charge 125.00 to do 3 acres.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Chasinspecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:35 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 898

Looks like Bermuda grass. Try putting down some rock salt. Do a small test area first. I heard it works good on fescue and KBG. But never heard of using it on Bermuda.

Last edited by BIG Johnson; 05-01-2017 at 08:39 PM.
BIG Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement