Grass Catching Directly Into Plastic Mesh Trash Bags? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By homeimproverjoe

Old 06-20-2018, 02:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 616

Grass catching directly into plastic mesh trash bags?

I understand that it would take a special permeated trash bag to accomplish this, but I'm curious why we don't see any examples of using mesh plastic trash bags directly connected to grass catchers.

The obvious advantage of a "direct-to-plastic" approach is you simply tie it and drop it once its full, then put another bag on and keep going.

I have seen large balloon tarp grass catchers but if you are in residential pickup situation, you still end up doing a transfer into plastic trash bags. Does any system offer direct to plastic collection from the grass catcher?
homeimproverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2018, 09:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 818

Re: Grass catching directly into plastic mesh trash bags?

I don't understand why many people just throw their lawn clippings away. They actually contain a lot of nitrogen and a great fertilizer for your lawn if you mulch them back in. Another alternative is to put them into a compost pile let them breakdown to be used in your garden or plantings in the future. There's absolutely no reason to ever throw away lawn clippings.

Actually there are some parts of the country where they won't even pick them up.
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2018, 09:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
I don't understand why many people just throw their lawn clippings away. They actually contain a lot of nitrogen and a great fertilizer for your lawn if you mulch them back in. Another alternative is to put them into a compost pile let them breakdown to be used in your garden or plantings in the future. There's absolutely no reason to ever throw away lawn clippings.

Actually there are some parts of the country where they won't even pick them up.
At the moment, I mulch everything. I don't have a bagger attachment for my lawn tractor.

However, even though I have mulching blades, its not a high end commercial mower that pulverizes the mulch so fine that none ends up on top of the grass. For that layer of dead grass, I use a lawn sweeper and dump in a mulch pile.

I'm just curious about the issue that apparently no one has yet come to market with a bagger attachment or adapter that will work with standard contractor grade plastic trash bags. I found a few patent images that appear to indicate its been conceived at least.

You basically just need a vent in the adapter panel (item 44 in the images below) to allow the air to escape. In this design, you don't even need perforated trash bags. The entire adapter panel could be fine plastic or steel mesh material to maximize venting allowing the use of standard thick mil plastic trash bags.

Last edited by homeimproverjoe; 06-20-2018 at 09:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2018, 10:32 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4,258

The problem might be safety since rocks, sticks & even bones can be mowed up. They might tear thru a plastic bag.
Nik333 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik333 View Post
The problem might be safety since rocks, sticks & even bones can be mowed up. They might tear thru a plastic bag.
Good point. I believe the design above addresses that by enclosing the plastic bag in a container.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:20 PM   #6

Just found this video. Apparently you can use trash bags in existing rear bagger hoppers without much hassle. Great to know.

Nik333 likes this.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:24 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 4,170

Why are you bagging in the first place? As stated, better for your lawn to mulch them and leave them on the lawn.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement