Grading Done. About To Install Irrigation. DIY Rain Bird ETI. Need Some Advice. - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By djlandkpl
  • 1 Post By djlandkpl

Old 05-10-2017, 10:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 616

Grading done. About to install irrigation. DIY Rain Bird ETI. Need some advice.

OK, I picked up the Rain Bird 32ETI (stands for "Easy to Install") in-ground automatic sprinkler kit along with the Rain Bird "50 Piece Drip Watering Kit".

I only have a single faucet on the front of my house, so I'm going to try to control both kits from the 32ETI electronic timer (the drip kit has no timer included). The outside faucet I'll be using has extremely good water pressure thankfully.

So, the crux of my question is this...

The 32ETI says it not expandible, however, I see no reason why I can't tap into it to run the drip irrigation in my planter beds.

My 32ETI will have 2 branches, each with 3 sprinkler heads for a total of 6. On each of those branches, I will be running a line to a drip hose in my planter beds. So two drip lines total.

Should I be OK with this setup?

Also, is it OK to curve corners rather than cutting the line and inserting 90 degree couplers? I have two 90 degree corners in one of the sections that I'll need to do. It seems that less unions would be less risk of leak. However, I suspect a gradual 90 degree curve cut down the flow if the pipe bends.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by homeimproverjoe; 05-10-2017 at 10:05 PM.
homeimproverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2017, 07:37 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 188

Re: Grading done. About to install irrigation. DIY Rain Bird ETI. Need some advice.

Not a good idea to mix drip with heads. In order to get sufficient watering from drip you have to have long run times but you may not need as much time for the heads.

You might be able to run 6 heads on one line and the drip on the other.
homeimproverjoe and delandis like this.
homeimproverjoe (05-11-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2017, 05:39 PM   #3

Re: Grading done. About to install irrigation. DIY Rain Bird ETI. Need some advice.

Thanks for the help on that. Any thoughts on curving corners vs splicing with a 90 degree joint?

Next question: My water pressure at this spigot is off the charts high 140 psi. I'm expecting it will cause issues with the sprinklers (misting or wear and tear issues). What should I do?

Note: It appears I have a 50 psi regulator at the inside supply before it goes to the main. This faucet is before that regulator.

Pics...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2017, 07:02 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 188

There are regulators that will screw onto your outdoor spigots to reduce the pressure. You might need to get adapters to go from hose thread to NPT (pipe thread) You can eliminate the 90's. Not a big deal to curve the tubing.
homeimproverjoe likes this.
homeimproverjoe (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 10:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlandkpl View Post
You might be able to run 6 heads on one line and the drip on the other.
The rain bird installation instructions say max 3 heads per run. If you need 6, like I do, they want you to splice in the middle and attach the supply in the middle. Apparently so that the last head has adequate pressure.

With my water pressure, I don't see that as a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement