Getting Rid Of Irrigation System / Well - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-22-2012, 07:59 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 464

getting rid of irrigation system / well

Just reading about dealing with irrigation makes my head swim. I've already decided not to irrigate (no HOA). An inspector told me a thing in the back yard is a well . How do I get rid of the bulky thing? Also is there any danger of a child falling into the well? My only idea is to call a well company to cap it off. If I could use a hose to water a few flowers with it I'd keep it. I intend to reseed the yard with a native drought resistant grass. I do see a faucet but when I turned it no water came out. Should water come out like in a city spigot?

Can I ignore the underground sprinkler pipes? I've seen them laid in the past and think there are rows of pvc buried shallowly under the sod. There are all sorts of pipes around the house, sticking up which may be related to the irrigation. I just won't deal with all those pipes and meters and timers and stuff.

Mainly the bulky well bothers me as it's in the middle of the yard. But, someone did pay to have it drilled at one time. I don't even know if it works.

Last edited by Startingover; 04-22-2012 at 05:53 PM. Reason: addition
Startingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2012, 06:19 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,044

Normally water does not come out of a well unless you have a working pump down below (or a manual pump with a handle like a nutcracker doll or a non-crank car jack on the surface).

You could excavate perhaps a foot and a half down (, remove any well infrastructure or superstructure above that point,) and put a lid over the well and cover it back up.

Last edited by AllanJ; 04-23-2012 at 06:23 AM.
AllanJ is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AllanJ For This Useful Post:
Startingover (04-23-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2012, 11:25 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,016

I would definitely keep the well to use for watering things you want to water. It's much cheaper than using city water. You could call a well company and have them take a look at it. Quite possibly anything above ground could be removed very easily. All of the underground piping for the sprinkler system can just be abandoned in place, there's no need to remove it.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #4

thanks for the idea. I will look up a Well Co. The water here is bad so if I put a little garden in I'd prefer well water if it's not complicated.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:34 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

I think you should try to find out who installed the system,look for service stickers.
Do a little research before you start ripping things apart,you may find a need for it later,I have had many ahhh haaa moments like this.
Ravenworks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ravenworks For This Useful Post:
Startingover (04-24-2012)
Old 04-24-2012, 07:36 AM   #6

Ravenworks

I'm from Portage Co. in Ohio and miss it. This is hard, learning about gardening another state and zone. I don't miss driving on the snowy Ohio roads tho.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:17 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startingover View Post
Ravenworks

I'm from Portage Co. in Ohio and miss it. This is hard, learning about gardening another state and zone. I don't miss driving on the snowy Ohio roads tho.
Just did a job in Ravenna last week,I hate the cold and rain,Ohio's weather sucks.
Ravenworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement