Gas Or Electric Lawn Garden Quipment - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree7Likes

Old 12-10-2018, 03:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 5,532

Gas or electric lawn garden quipment

My helpful handyman and I were cutting down palm trees one day.

He had a gas-powered 16" chain saw and I had an electric 18" chain saw.

By the time he was able to get the engine started and running, I was able to fell my first tree.

On the other hand, I know that nothing gives raw power like gas engines do, too, except they get awful tempermental sometimes. With electric, plug in, turn on and get to work.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Is there a way to post a poll/survey?
DoomsDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2018, 03:42 PM   #2
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,736

Re: Gas or electric lawn garden quipment

I have 2 gas chainsaws and 1 electric [inherited from my dad] I rarely use the electric saw but it surprised me on how much power it has. Electric is fine if you have a plug in handy but often I'm using a chainsaw too far from electricity.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2018, 04:43 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 17,912

If your only rarely using this and only using it in your own yard and have power availible there's no reason for a gas powered saw.
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2018, 04:48 PM   #4
retired framer

Rewards Points: 20,278

I used a Stihl electric chainsaw, that's impressive.
Windows on Wash likes this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 05:16 PM   #5
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post

I was looking at the Stihl cordless when I bought my S-in-L a house warming gift. I was tempted but it was expensive and ended up going with traditional gas. I forget the figure but the battery wasn't cheap if yours pooped out or you wanted a second one. The thing with battery powered gear is you need extra batteries or be prepared to go for a beer when you run out of juice. You also commit yourself to one brand unless you want a sea of batteries and chargers.

Most of my yard stuff is gas because most of it is old and I prefer to keep it going. I do have a corded electric hedge trimmer that is getting really tired and I'm nearing a decision point soon. I also have a corded electric leaf blower. I'm in an area of backpack Stihl blowers but the missus wanted one she could handle and she didn't want the weight or having to dink around with a gas engine. It can't match the high-end gas units but is actually not that bad but you are limited by cord length. And the missus actually does use it - sometimes.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:06 PM   #6
retired framer

Rewards Points: 20,278

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenaitch View Post
I was looking at the Stihl cordless when I bought my S-in-L a house warming gift. I was tempted but it was expensive and ended up going with traditional gas. I forget the figure but the battery wasn't cheap if yours pooped out or you wanted a second one. The thing with battery powered gear is you need extra batteries or be prepared to go for a beer when you run out of juice. You also commit yourself to one brand unless you want a sea of batteries and chargers.

Most of my yard stuff is gas because most of it is old and I prefer to keep it going. I do have a corded electric hedge trimmer that is getting really tired and I'm nearing a decision point soon. I also have a corded electric leaf blower. I'm in an area of backpack Stihl blowers but the missus wanted one she could handle and she didn't want the weight or having to dink around with a gas engine. It can't match the high-end gas units but is actually not that bad but you are limited by cord length. And the missus actually does use it - sometimes.
Anything battery power, I go for used and have batteries rebuilt, they usually come back with better than original batteries. All my drills are from some ones scrap pile for free and the batteries cost about $50 and up.
DoomsDave likes this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 02:09 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 578

Problem with a gas engine powered tool is that if it does not get used frequently I need to drain as much gas from the tank as I can and then run the engine until it runs out of gas. I also have some that take regular gas and others that need a 50:1 fuel oil mix and so I need to have two gas cans in my garage.

I have a Black and Decker 20v electric pole saw and one of their battery powered hedge trimmers and they use lithium-ion batteries that hold a charge for months. Much faster to grab these for light duty work.

So for pruning thick branches at ground level I use an 18v battery powered reciprocating saw with pruning blades. From 6 to 16 feet above the ground I use a gas powered pole saw. I have not used my gas powered chain saw in years as for most tree work with large diameter limbs I hire a professional crew.

My lawnmower when I lived in suburbia was an electric one that needed an extension cord and no need to worry about old gas and the electric was every bit as effective. Now there are battery power lawnmowers and that is what I would use it the cord did not reach. A key reason for my moving into my present house is that the grass only needs to be weed wacked a couple times during the year and I hire a couple guys to do that.

I have a 4-cycle power washer as the electric ones don't provide enough pressure for my needs. Tried an electric power washer and ended up giving it to a neighbor.

Gas engines and electric motor driven tools all have their place. For maximum power for a given weight nothing beats a 2-stroke gas engine but they are noisy and require special gas and need some amount of maintenance. Maximum convenience I find is with battery operated tools and I have 3 power tools that use the Black and Decker 20v lithium ion battery packs and 8 tools that use 18v DeWalt battery packs and three tools that use DeWalt 20v battery packs. Great to be able to buy a bare tool at a savings and use my existing batteries and chargers.
Calson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 06:23 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 3,360

I don't think there is necessarily a "gas is better than electric" or vice versa argument, I think it's more of a "how are you specifically going to use it" argument.

Maybe for urban folks with small yards an electric lawn mower is great, but if you need to mow half an acre or more, or if you have hilly terrain, it's maybe not going to cut it. (pun intended) If you're felling smaller trees and bushes, electric chainsaw is good, but if you've got denser wood trees (birch, oak, etc) then you'll probably want gas. Or like us, your dealing with both tree situations, so you actually want both gas and electric.
lenaitch likes this.

(I'm not a professional, just a homeowner who dabbles in a bit of everything DIY)
Mystriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:00 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,762

I have a combination.

Mowers are gas (1 48" Deere & 1 60" Exmark) and while I do has a gas chainsaw, I cannot remember that last time I used it, so the cheap electric from Harbor Freight gets used.

Recently picked up a 80 volt line trimmer from Lowe's and love it. Uses the attachments from an old unit, and it has a great battery life.

Might even consider the 80 volt electric mower, since the Deere is really too big for where it's being used.

I don't miss dealing with all the effort keeping the gas weedeaters and such running.
ktkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:07 AM   #10
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystriss View Post
I don't think there is necessarily a "gas is better than electric" or vice versa argument, I think it's more of a "how are you specifically going to use it" argument.

Maybe for urban folks with small yards an electric lawn mower is great, but if you need to mow half an acre or more, or if you have hilly terrain, it's maybe not going to cut it. (pun intended) If you're felling smaller trees and bushes, electric chainsaw is good, but if you've got denser wood trees (birch, oak, etc) then you'll probably want gas. Or like us, your dealing with both tree situations, so you actually want both gas and electric.
Ayuh,.... Agreed,..... I ain't found any battery powered yard tools that will run as long as I need 'em too,......

My gas tools, I just fill the tanks, 'n keep on goin',......
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:10 AM   #11
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 4,600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post

I have a Makita twin battery unit...she rips.
Nealtw likes this.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:36 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 6,997

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsDave View Post

He had a gas-powered 16" chain saw and I had an electric 18" chain saw.

By the time he was able to get the engine started and running, I was able to fell my first tree.

I'm with you. For my urban needs an electric chainsaw is the clear winner.

Except for the mowers, tiller and multi tool attachment gas weed eater I'm electric all the way.

You can do a poll in some forum catergories but a discussion thread seems more popular here.
DoomsDave likes this.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:08 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 917

If you have a Stihl gas saw you won't have to do anything but fuel and pull to start it. Other brands often require more of a fight to get started if not run for a while. (assuming you take care to not let the gas get old of course)

I almost bought a battery powered lawn mower last year. Ultimately I decided it was too expensive for me. However, if you have a small yard and and hate dealing with the care and feeding of gas engines, I suggest you consider one. Power and battery life are impressive, they are quiet, and you don't have to worry about gas, oil changes, etc... Cost is really the issue. Up front price is steep plus the batteries "wear out" eventually and replacement can get expensive. Maybe battery cost will come down in the future?
DoomsDave likes this.
chiraldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 11:15 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 5,532

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyt View Post
I'm with you. For my urban needs an electric chainsaw is the clear winner.

Except for the mowers, tiller and multi tool attachment gas weed eater I'm electric all the way.

You can do a poll in some forum catergories but a discussion thread seems more popular here.
How can you do a poll?
DoomsDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 11:53 AM   #15
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,522

Buy an ax, starts every time! Kidding aside, I have both also, and never reach for the electric. If you are taking down trees, something that most of us have done some of, but not professionally, you already have enough to think about. Like falling direction, not getting hit, not damaging anything. The cord just gives you one more thing to concern yourself with.
Many years ago, when I did use the electric saw, it was for chunking firewood in the back yard.

Last edited by Yodaman; 01-25-2019 at 12:02 PM.
Yodaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement