French Drain On A Slope To Slow Down Water Flow - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lenaitch

Old 04-13-2018, 04:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

French drain on a slope to slow down water flow

Hello everyone,

Ive just been notified by the township zoning department that the water flowing off our property is eroding our neighbors gravel drive and washing it out onto the road. Weve recently had some major rains in southwestern Ohio and I must admit when I saw logs float past my living room I decided to consider reworking the ditch to slow down the water. Now after speaking to the neighbor and the zoning inspector I think it may be best to install a French drain to absorb and slow down the flow. A plus would be that I may actually make the yard easier to mow.

Im getting a excavator out here in a few weeks to finish up a tiered garden but I might as well trench the drain then too. What type of stone should I be looking for. Where would you look to get reduced prices. When I got gravel for my driveway I contacted a paving contractor and had 11tons of road bed dropped for $120, and $20 for delivery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chuck08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2018, 04:55 PM   #2

Re: French drain on a slope to slow down water flow

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2018, 04:57 PM   #3
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

How much higher is your property than his? Is there a retaining wall? How long is his driveway? Can you post some wide angled pics?
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2018, 04:57 PM   #4

As you can see in the pictures the yard has a good slip to it and the water just gets moving.

Old 04-13-2018, 04:59 PM   #5
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

I guess that our posts crossed. What does that pic show us? I don't see the driveway.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:14 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 4,428

Is this natural and undisturbed ground.?

If it is, it might not be your problem to solve.?
ron45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 11:31 AM   #7
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,208

I suppose a trench filled with stone is by broad definition a 'french drain'. One thing to keep in mind is that if the flow of water is slowed, it will either pond on your property and then absorb into the ground or absorb into ground around the trench. You have to determine if that level of saturation will cause other problems, particularly in relation to your foundation or that retaining wall. Is there another area to direct it to via a drainage tile?
Bondo likes this.
Old 04-15-2018, 04:05 PM   #8
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,344

Quote:
What type of stone should I be looking for. Where would you look to get reduced prices.
Ayuh,..... 4" to 6" stone, No fines, just biggish rocks,.....

From a Quarry is the Best place to look,..... yer gonna be needin' quite a few tons,....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 06:14 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,042

If you want to slow the velocity of the water, you will need a graded size of riprap as opposed to a uniform size, 4" to 5" would be the size to attain that and it would be best if it was on top of filter fabric to avoid scouring.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 02:09 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,800

Does some of the water come from other neighbors' properties uphill? Did the township zoning department discuss it with them also?

How many times during the year does this problem occur?
Old 04-21-2018, 11:33 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 34

So it's all on you? Water flows downhill. Has your neighbor done anything to address it?
AnotherHomeOwnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck08 View Post

As you can see in the pictures the yard has a good slip to it and the water just gets moving.

In the first picture, the ditch curves from behind the woodpile before the water comes back out. and down the orange line in the grass. There is a spot where water rains into something and then a 15ft area of a dry ditch before water comes back up, i believe this to be a rock-filled pit put in by the farmer to slow the water off his property. This ditch was created by a previous owner when the retaining wall and living room were added on. The length of the portion pictured is approximately 200ft and drops 10 ft.

in the second picture, you can see the back of my neighbors home, the flow of the water crosses back and forth on the property line before going into the culvert to cross under the road. the drop from where I took the picture to the road is approximate, 18 ft and is 200 ft long.

One of the issues is that the speed created in the first picture doesn't allow the water to turn into the channel along the property line. washing through the woods, over his retaining wall, and into his driveway.

My issue is that the ditch is difficult to mow and logs and debris get strewn across my backyard. I also had a waterfall over the retaining wall shown in picture 1 that washed out the courtyard garden below.

now all that being said, this only happened twice to us, this spring, when we had two storms come through that dumped 2" of rain in 2 hours then rained for a day or so on top of that. Cincinnati's riverfront and towns along the Ohio River flooded during these storms, so our issues is a relative small one.

Last edited by Chuck08; 04-23-2018 at 09:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement