French Drain, Dirty Gravel - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-28-2017, 05:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 18

French Drain, dirty gravel

With all the rain we've had this spring, water has started flowing under the foundation into our garage. I was planning to install a French drain around the foundation empty onto the driveway.

I knew we already had a downspout at the front corner of the house that emptied underground and onto the driveway, but as I started digging in the back off the patio I discovered we already had a French drain system there.

After investigating it, I think the system was put in place in 1995 or 1996 (March 1995 manufacture date on the pipe)making it about 22 years old. I dug a wheel barrow-ful of gravel out and it look to be almost completely full of dirt, leaf matter, etc.

Is there a good way to dig all the gravel up and, more importantly, clean it off?

I already bought new drainage rock and will likely use new pipe unless the old stuff doesn't look too clogged. But if I can reuse a lot of what's there already it would help a lot.
dublozrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2017, 05:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,800

Re: French Drain, dirty gravel

No there is no good or easy way to dig all the gravel up but you could use the brute force way.

You will have to find a place where the debris will go when you hose down the old gravel after digging it up and spreading it out somewhere.

If you do dig this thing up, do not rebury the old drain pipe or drain tile without making sure that it is empty of dirt. Smooth (perforated) drain pipe should not be covered with a "sock".

It is rare if ever that the terrain has the proper slope to allow the usual French drain (invented in the U.S.) to discharge onto the driveway and the water run away without the help of a sump pump. You might find a workable rain water channeling solution as the degenerate form of the French drain (invented in France) i.e. a system on or just slightly below the surface with a hard non-porous bottom.

Last edited by AllanJ; 05-28-2017 at 06:20 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2017, 06:15 PM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,342

Re: French Drain, dirty gravel

Quote:
With all the rain we've had this spring, water has started flowing under the foundation into our garage.
Ayuh,.... So is this problem area at the beginin', or at the end of the french drain there now,..??

You only need to "Fix" the problem area,.... Not necessarily the entire system,....

As far as washin' the gravel ya got,..... That ain't gonna happen,....
Labor Intensive,.... is an understatement,....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement