French Drain Or Different Solution? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree5Likes

Old 08-22-2018, 06:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 140

French drain or different solution?

I recently bought a house that sits very close to the house next door. On that side of house, there is very little I can do to get water away from the house. I've posted a picture of the area. The house sits on a poured concrete basement. After a recent downpour, I inspected the basement and found a few areas where I could see moisture on the basement walls. The one spot with no easy fix was on this side of the house. The downspout sits near the front of the house, so diverting that water is easy. The neighbor has a sloped concrete walkway, so that water is finding it's way to that area as well. My first question is whether a French drain is the best solution in this area. If not, what are my other options?
Attached Thumbnails
French drain or different solution?-img_2775.jpg  
JWindmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2018, 05:57 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,344

Re: French drain or different solution?

Ayuh,..... Simplest cheapest fix is a continuous fallin' grade to the discharge point of the property,.....

Aka: a Swale,.....
SeniorSitizen likes this.
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2018, 06:06 PM   #3

Thanks for the response. The more research I do, the more I don’t want to do a French drain, so that’s a good starting point. What would I construct a swale out of in this spot? The only discharge area is going to be the front of the house, so about 10+ feet from the foreground of that photo.

A guy I know who has a masonry business is going to look at it and give me an estimate on pouring a concrete swale, essentially. It would terminate by the front porch with a catch basin and empty in the front yard. That’ll probably be cost prohibitive though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2018, 06:30 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,558

I've never understood the purpose of a catch basin other than to possibly breed mosquitoes. Can someone enlighten me? thanks
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 06:33 PM   #5

I’m not sure I can offer an explanation from experience, but in my case, I had thought to use one to catch the water draining off the sloped concrete, send it into a drainage pipe underground and distributed away from the house.
Old 08-24-2018, 04:51 AM   #6

Quote:
What would I construct a swale out of in this spot? The only discharge area is going to be the front of the house, so about 10+ feet from the foreground of that photo.
Ayuh,..... Simplest, cheapest way, is to carve out the dirt for continuous fallin' grade, 'n plant grass in it when done diggin',......
Old 08-24-2018, 07:17 AM   #7
retired framer

Rewards Points: 20,660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,..... Simplest, cheapest way, is to carve out the dirt for continuous fallin' grade, 'n plant grass in it when done diggin',......
I would do that but cover it with poly and plant river rock.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 07:18 AM   #8

It’s about a 40 foot span and less than 3 feet wide. Since it’s against the foundation on one side, I can’t raise the back end. So I’ll be about 6” below the rest of the yard at the front end of the swale. That’s what I’m not sure about. I could carve out a spot for a catch basin there and run drainage pipe away from the house from there. I’m just not familiar enough with this to know that it will solve my problem with moisture on the basement wall.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
I would do that but cover it with poly and plant river rock.[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.diychatroom.com/images/smilies/wink.png[/IMG]
So, make the trench and lay poly over it from the foundation to the fence? Then rock on the poly? Will that cause any issues with water escaping the ground? (What water manages to get down there over time).
Old 08-24-2018, 07:27 AM   #10

No matter what's done in that a area, keep in mind the hedge on the neighbor's side may be in jeopardy.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:29 AM   #11
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSitizen View Post
No matter what's done in that a area, keep in mind the hedge on the neighbor's side may be in jeopardy.
Morning glory is a weed.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Morning glory is a weed.
Mention that to the neighbor lady that planted it there, but you may also want to look up the definition of a weed.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:54 AM   #13

The neighbors walkway diverts water onto my property, so I’m definitely not concerned about whatever is growing on that fence.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:54 AM   #14
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSitizen View Post
Mention that to the neighbor lady that planted it there, but you may also want to look up the definition of a weed.
Hmmm, we don't plant it here and it will take over a whole yard in a few weeks if left to grow, I didn't know anyone grew it.
Old 08-24-2018, 03:48 PM   #15

Quote:
It’s about a 40 foot span and less than 3 feet wide. Since it’s against the foundation on one side, I can’t raise the back end. So I’ll be about 6” below the rest of the yard at the front end of the swale. That’s what I’m not sure about.
Ayuh,..... An inch fall per 10' of run will drain,.....

Pitch, from the foundation, to the fence, then an inch fall every 10 feet to where ever it's gotta go,.....

A lazer level would be Great,.... a string line, 'n string level can do the job though,.....
Nealtw and JWindmill like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement