French Drain.... - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Daniel Holzman

Old 04-10-2017, 04:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 20

French Drain....

Hi I'm Dee. Haven't post on here in a while, but I need some advice on how to correct my French Drain. So I bought a house last year, and notice that when it rains water pools up on one side. Really pools up. So I figured I could install a French Drain. Didn't seem that hard. So I did some research on how to install one. Some things I read said French drains should be 8-12f".Others said 18-24". Using the 1" per 8ft rule for slope I ended up with my drain being at least a foot below the street level where I was trying to drain at.So now what do I start over? Can I use a small than a inch slope and still get good drainage ??
Delvia Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2017, 04:43 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

Re: French Drain....

All drainage projects need to start with an accurate measurement of the available drop between the place you want to start the drain and the place you want to drain to. Most people perform the measurement using a level. This can be a builders level, a laser level, a water level, or a string line, whichever you understand how to use.

The next step is to figure out exactly how you plan to end the drain. If there is a storm drain in the street, and the city allows you to connect, you can use that. If there is a ditch, and you are allowed to connect to the ditch, you use that. If there are no drains, and you have the pitch, you can drain directly to the street, assuming your town allows that.

So I suggest you start the project by making some measurements of the drop from your house to the street. Pitch of 1 percent is usually OK. You may not want to use a French drain, maybe you can use drainage pipe with an inlet. All depends on the available drop, and the relative elevation of the place you need to drain. You may even be able to use swales or grading to get the water to drain where you want to.
Delvia Carter likes this.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
Delvia Carter (04-10-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2017, 04:57 PM   #3

Guess I got to start over and try o find the correct slope of the yard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2017, 09:18 PM   #4
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,210

Any slope will drain clear water so long as it is consistent. You could even get away with 1/4" per foot.

Without photos, we don't know when the water is pooling and, more importantly, if it is pooling near or against the house foundation. Depending on the setting, you might be able to simply getting away with cutting a swale, which is basically a wide shallow ditch cut into your lawn that just looks like a dip.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:50 PM   #5

Here are a few pictures of the flood next to my house last time it rained.

Sent from my Z956 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement