Florida Man Could Lose His Home For Having Long Grass!! - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree29Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 05-08-2019, 10:01 AM   #1
Member
 
ZZZZZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Middle of nowhere, AZ
Posts: 7,796
Rewards Points: 2,312
Default

Florida Man Could Lose His Home For Having Long Grass!!


Mow your lawn, or else!

.
.
Bondo likes this.
__________________
Just my 7 cents (2 cents after taxes and inflation).
ZZZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-08-2019, 10:13 AM   #2
Exterior Construction
 
Windows on Wash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Washington DC Metro Area (VA, MD, DC)
Posts: 20,459
Rewards Points: 4,612
Blog Entries: 38
Default

Re: Florida Man Could Lose His Home For Having Long Grass!!


Flipping HOAs have way, way, way too much power if this is an HOA violation issue.
Bondo, lenaitch and Mystriss like this.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-08-2019, 10:28 AM   #3
Knows Enough to be Danger
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 638
Rewards Points: 1,215
Default

Re: Florida Man Could Lose His Home For Having Long Grass!!


I feel like there is a lot more to this story than the dramatic music implies.
ChuckTin and Johnny_inFL like this.
NickTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-08-2019, 11:35 AM   #4
Retired Handyman/Painter
 
Johnny_inFL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 614
Rewards Points: 1,232
Default

Re: Florida Man Could Lose His Home For Having Long Grass!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
I feel like there is a lot more to this story than the dramatic music implies.
definitely agree - not just this "video" but others like it.
I never take YouTube stuff at face value ~ neither should you.
it should be titled "For Entertainment Purposes Only".

.

.
Msradell likes this.
__________________
-- Failure is proof that you at least tried ~ now, go do it again, and again, until you get it right --
Johnny_inFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 12:14 PM   #5
Member
 
DoomsDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Coastal Southern California
Posts: 2,918
Rewards Points: 5,580
Default

Re: Florida Man Could Lose His Home For Having Long Grass!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
Flipping HOAs have way, way, way too much power if this is an HOA violation issue.
Oh, yeah, we can agree on that much!

Feel an HOA thread coming on . . . . .
Bondo and Windows on Wash like this.
DoomsDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 12:18 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Waseca, MN
Posts: 492
Rewards Points: 917
Default

Re: Florida Man Could Lose His Home For Having Long Grass!!


Seems real. Here is a link to local news: https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/r...ot-mowing-lawn
Looks like the city government is doing this, not HOA.
From the article:
"A city of Dunedin attorney told ABC Action News that he can't comment on the lawsuit but stands by his decision to recommend foreclosing on the property."
Bondo and ZZZZZ like this.
chiraldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 12:39 PM   #7
Member
 
DoomsDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Coastal Southern California
Posts: 2,918
Rewards Points: 5,580
Default

Re: Florida Man Could Lose His Home For Having Long Grass!!


Yep, it's the city.

HOAs can be bad, too, though.

I hope Jim wins in court. There's many ways they can attack the city's predatory practices, though, at least in the early stages much will depend on state law. I suspect Florida has passed a few laws that make it a lot easier for this type of thing.

And, don't forget politics, too. Make your displeasure known, though sometimes elected officials look the other way. Until they're forced to.

Here in California, they're upping traffic fines, and the fees for recording documents. The first page of a recorded document is now $89. You read that right.
DoomsDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 04:08 PM   #8
Member
 
Oso954's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northern Calif.
Posts: 7,864
Rewards Points: 1,964
Default

Re: Florida Man Could Lose His Home For Having Long Grass!!


It's not an HOA problem, it's city code Enforcement.

Here's an article on it. The city seems a little unreasonable if the facts here are correct.
https://reason.com/2019/05/08/florid...26+Run+Blog%29
Bondo, ZZZZZ and Mystriss like this.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 04:10 PM   #9
Member
 
ZZZZZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Middle of nowhere, AZ
Posts: 7,796
Rewards Points: 2,312
Default

Re: Florida Man Could Lose His Home For Having Long Grass!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_inFL View Post
definitely agree - not just this "video" but others like it.
I never take YouTube stuff at face value ~ neither should you.
it should be titled "For Entertainment Purposes Only".
.
Here's the actual lawsuit if you would like to read it.

https://ij.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Complaint.pdf
.
.
Bondo likes this.
__________________
Just my 7 cents (2 cents after taxes and inflation).
ZZZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 04:45 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Waseca, MN
Posts: 492
Rewards Points: 917
Default

Re: Florida Man Could Lose His Home For Having Long Grass!!


The more I read, the worse it gets. This city appears to have no interest in keeping lawns mowed, only in extracting money from homeowners.
Bondo, Msradell, ZZZZZ and 2 others like this.
chiraldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 06:16 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 564
Rewards Points: 94
Default

Re: Florida Man Could Lose His Home For Having Long Grass!!


Don't forget that what you're reading has been skewed by editing and legalese.
ChuckTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 12:44 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2,307
Rewards Points: 534
Default

Re: Florida Man Could Lose His Home For Having Long Grass!!


My dad lived in Venice Florida. One of his neighbors owned a vacant lot and was in a dispute with the city over fees over grass cutting. Or lack of it I should say. Donít know the end result as he moved but I find it crazy that the cities can get away with fining you over grass cutting but itís true. They have a program in Baton Rouge that just started where if homes are left vacant and not maintained the neighbors that maintain it (grass cutting etc) can apply for ownership after so much time. Itís a program to prevent abandoned homes from becoming illegal drug dens and what not. I donít know a lot about it. Itís only in the inner city as far as I know. Different situation but scary about the powers that different levels of government have
BayouRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 01:21 AM   #13
Member
 
Mystriss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Alaska
Posts: 1,687
Rewards Points: 3,370
Default

Re: Florida Man Could Lose His Home For Having Long Grass!!


And you'd think that those socialist loving lefties would get a clue from this kind of thing, but they never seem to put two and two together on it.

Government, regardless of it's "intended purpose," ultimately ends up with only one purpose - get more money, so they can spend more money.

HOA's, though I REFUSE to ever buy a home that requires one, are at least run by reasonable people for the most part. There is a chance for compromise or working out that you want a shed or a fence or a new paint color.

The government, on the other hand, doesn't care, because it's not actually about what you "think" it's about; ie keeping lawns neat, not having a garden or water reclamation system, or solar panels or wind turbine, etc, it's 100% about getting money for whatever pet project the PIP wants to buy votes with...
Bondo likes this.
__________________

(I'm not a professional, just a homeowner who dabbles in a bit of everything DIY)
Mystriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:16 AM   #14
Member
 
DoomsDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Coastal Southern California
Posts: 2,918
Rewards Points: 5,580
Default

Re: Florida Man Could Lose His Home For Having Long Grass!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystriss View Post
And you'd think that those socialist loving lefties would get a clue from this kind of thing, but they never seem to put two and two together on it.

Government, regardless of it's "intended purpose," ultimately ends up with only one purpose - get more money, so they can spend more money.

HOA's, though I REFUSE to ever buy a home that requires one, are at least run by reasonable people for the most part. There is a chance for compromise or working out that you want a shed or a fence or a new paint color.

The government, on the other hand, doesn't care, because it's not actually about what you "think" it's about; ie keeping lawns neat, not having a garden or water reclamation system, or solar panels or wind turbine, etc, it's 100% about getting money for whatever pet project the PIP wants to buy votes with...
Don't bet on HOAs being run by reasonable people. They might think they're reasonable, but people in the association sometimes think otherwise. I can remember many unsavory incidents from working with a lawyer who did that kind of thing.

There's all kinds of mischief that can result. Some states like Texas do a better job of regulating HOAs than, say California does.
DoomsDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:18 AM   #15
Member
 
DoomsDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Coastal Southern California
Posts: 2,918
Rewards Points: 5,580
Default

Re: Florida Man Could Lose His Home For Having Long Grass!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouRunner View Post
My dad lived in Venice Florida. One of his neighbors owned a vacant lot and was in a dispute with the city over fees over grass cutting. Or lack of it I should say. Donít know the end result as he moved but I find it crazy that the cities can get away with fining you over grass cutting but itís true. They have a program in Baton Rouge that just started where if homes are left vacant and not maintained the neighbors that maintain it (grass cutting etc) can apply for ownership after so much time. Itís a program to prevent abandoned homes from becoming illegal drug dens and what not. I donít know a lot about it. Itís only in the inner city as far as I know. Different situation but scary about the powers that different levels of government have
That's an entirely different situation from that described in the Dunedin video. That city is out to grab money. It makes sense, too, because if there's a lot of snowbirds who aren't around, it's easy to make the argument.

Be interesting to see what the Florida Supreme Court will have to say about that.
DoomsDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How Long Will Unopened Grass Seed Last? VAer Gardening Forum 11 12-10-2018 01:26 PM
New grass seed not growing at same rate VAer Gardening Forum 4 10-15-2017 08:29 PM
Moisture on windows baum Building & Construction 56 12-22-2009 05:39 PM
Help old Florida home realsoon61 Roofing/Siding 7 04-22-2009 01:35 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts