Fiskar Reel Mower - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-18-2014, 03:46 PM   #1

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,716

Fiskar reel mower

I have access to an almost new Fiskars walk-behind reel mower and wondering what experiences someone may have.

I live in a townhouse (2 story quad home with garage) and have reasonable control over my yard. I own the land, including the trees so if I remove a tree, I may have to replace it. Our owners association is responsible for grass cutting, shrub trimming(under 6'), plowing and snow removal. The landscape contractors do a horrible job because the job is bid based on price. I can't stand the poor job (cut long and laid low from the mower wheels just to look good from a distance) because I see it every day out of my patio doors.

Since I like working outside, I was thinking of picking it up to make things look better and get some exercise without dealing with a powered mower.

I am looking for some opinions on the mower. It is built like a precision "tank" and very unique and high quality. Everything is opposite a common U.S. style mower, but it has great features, adjustability and precision. It is made in Finland by a knife and scissor company.

Any opinions?

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2014, 04:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,972

Quote:
It is made in Finland by a knife and scissor company.
You might want to check that out. Fiskars used to be a mfg co. It is now a holding company.

Their largest subsidiary company is Fiskars Brands, headquartered in Madison Wi. Many of their products (incl mowers) are sourced from China.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2014, 04:30 PM   #3

I could care less as far as where it was made. I have been through China many times and am aware of what they can do. My hospital and medical clinic has a lot of scientific diagnostic equipment made there (with some U.S. parts) that kept me alive.

I was interested in the concept of the machine itself.

Dick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2014, 05:57 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 17,912

So there mowing this lawn and it's included in your mantaince fee, but you want to spend the time and money to do it yourself?
Tried having a chat with them expressing your concerns?
Using a reel mower is a real workout, near imposable to find anyone to sharpen it, the reason you see them for sale cheap.
Far better to buy to just buy a rechargeable regular mower.
Check out Home Depot.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:53 PM   #5

Regarding the association, there is little interest in doing anything better if it means a little more cost to the association. I was on the association board of directors and ran into the old excuse of "We have many residents that are on fixed income" even though I haven't worked since I moved in and my income is also fixed unless I choose to do some work.

It is not a personal cost issue. I am just trying to get my own little area nicer and don't mind the exercise. If I don't have the time, I can always let the lawn jockeys do it since they cannot screw up much with one cutting. I am on the edge of the small and only 2 neighbors can see my lawn. I can't see the adjacent development because of my 30' Blue Spruce and morning and evening roaming deer seem to be OK with it.

I did get the mower home for a try and was surprisingly heavy, but made to high standards. - 5 blades spinning fast, front discharge and very little effort. - They run a little over $200 without a catcher.

Dick
Old 09-18-2014, 08:44 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 79

I have one and it does a fine job on my zoisia grass in the front. It doesn't do well with the fescue in the back. My only complaints are that it doesn't start to cut well until about three steps into the pass and it doesn't get very close to edges. So I guess it does very well with stiff grass away from the perimeter. I've got an 18 volt trimmer to pick up the slack and that combo does my whole 40' x 100' property in about 20 mins. 25 if I rake.

Sent from my iPhone using diychatroom.com
eclark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eclark For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (09-18-2014)
Old 09-19-2014, 09:57 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 144

I have one as well and can pretty much echo the above comment. I don't know my types of grasses very well, but I have noticed that as long as the grass doesn't get too long, it does a pretty good job. I have some really fine grass as well in my lawn that it has a hard time cutting regardless of its length as well.
brendelac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:22 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,042

Check them out on Amazon, don't know what model you have there's two and one has a catcher, extra of course and a lot of reviews on both machines.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement