Fire Pit Near A Wood Fence. I Don't Want To Start A Forest Fire!! - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By stick\shift
  • 1 Post By Nealtw

Old 05-28-2019, 07:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,926

Fire Pit near a wood fence. I don't want to start a forest fire!!

Living in the Rockies is wonderful. At least most times of the year. (We are going skiing on my wife's birthday, June 1'st!!!)

Then there are the other times of the year that bring dread. Tourist's thinking that fire bans don't apply to them or dry lightning which can cause forest fires. (One was less than 6 miles from us!!

Last October, my neighbor's duplex burned down due to shoddy work done by a prior owner's installing their wood burning stove in the basement. They should start rebuilding sometime in June. (His co-owner on the other side has been a ***** to work with!)

So, you can see why I am being cautious in how I build my fire pit.

I do have a 3' round iron fire ring which I plan to put on a ring of pavers. The center of the fire ring will be placed in a corner of our yard where the edge of the fire ring will be about 3' from the fence.

Do you fine folks think that this is enough distance from the fence so that I don't have to worry about it starting to smoke and catch fire? We burn mostly Pinon, Aspen and Pine as it is abundant out here. (Is Pinon the same as Pine? I am too tired to search)

I was thinking about putting up some corrugated Iron to reflect the heat and block it from the fence, do yo think that would help? Could I move the pit closer?

The picture shows the corner from a couple years ago. The trees/shrubs have been cleared out and it has been graded so it is fairly level.

Thanks as always, Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Fire Pit near a wood fence. I don't want to start a forest fire!!-backyard_corner-2-.jpg  
ktownskier is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2019, 08:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,170

Re: Fire Pit near a wood fence. I don't want to start a forest fire!!

That's close enough to be concerned. Some idiot put a fire pit in the middle of the lower level of my wood deck. I only use it in the winter when there's snow on the ground or I spray all the wood with the hose before the fire, about every ten minutes while the fire is going and then spot-spray anything burning which comes out and lands on the wood. I plan to keep the fire pit but the deck itself is going to be removed.
ktownskier likes this.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2019, 09:05 PM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 20,762

Re: Fire Pit near a wood fence. I don't want to start a forest fire!!

I would bring it out from the corner and build benches against the fence but the corrugated steel would help I am sure.
ktownskier likes this.
Advertisement