Finished Retaining Wall - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-10-2009, 01:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Finished Retaining Wall

I finished my wall about a month ago and wanted to share some photos.

Curious to hear your honest feedback, as well as what might be your favorite section(s), or least favorite.

This was my first wall. I spent a long time researching various stones, finally settled on this "great meadow limestone" out of the adirondacks, which was custom ordered from my local supplier.

It took a few months of mostly weekend work (also had a full-time job timberframing).

I can honestly say that no more than about 2 minutes of this entire project was "fun," and mostly I was cursing the entire way through.

I would never, ever do it again. That being said, I'm really happy with the result, except for one little section that bothers me a bit.

Ever single stone except for maybe 3 were laboriously hand chiseled to fit closely top, bottom, and sides with all surrounded stones.

Had a lot of inane comments from passerby, like:

"That looks like fun!" (smack!)

"It's a big puzzle!" (smack!)

"Gonna look nice when it's done..." (double smack!)

I also had some really nice, thoughtful comments, just enough to keep me going. This is in a high visibility spot right next to the road.

I like it, and it's very close to the vision I had before I started. Definitely wanted something unique, with a lot of movement. Very clearly did not want a rustic, fieldstone kind of look. This wall doesn't have one single chink or shim in the entire face.

Please ask any questions.

Last edited by wombosi; 11-10-2009 at 01:42 PM.
wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2009, 01:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

That looks great
Maybe I'll put one in on a short area when the new driveway goes in...maybe not

Curious as to why you didn't bring it over closer to the tree since you have more rock ?

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2009, 01:48 PM   #3

thanks scuba dave.
well, there are some pretty serious surface roots surrounding that tree. even where the wall ends it's sitting right on top of a big root, and i wasn't able to dig it down as far as the rest of the wall. in fact, this is the only area of the wall i'm worried about falling down someday.

the original idea was to build it right up to the tree. somehow the design just wound up there. i like it though. it creates a nice little pathway into the yard, if accessing the house from the street.

and, originally i had 10 tons. ordered 5 more. then 3 more. the two pallets are left over "pickings."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2009, 06:38 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

great job on your project! I can see the attention to detail. The curves in the body of the wall looks as if it was done by a professional, yet the top is in perfect alignment. When you DIY it has a whole new meaning...nice!
RMA Home Maint. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:55 PM   #5

thanks RMA, i appreciate the comment.
yes, pulling off the level line across the top was really cool.
i was a bit worried, because i was working from both ends towards the middle and was worried that when they met there would be a huge discrepency.
i had the crudest of crude setups, just a string run from the landing by the steps to a stake at the far end and one in the middle, and held a 4' level across the string.

the batter was eyeballed the whole way.

thanks again for the kind words.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:48 PM   #6
still remodelling....

Rewards Points: 75

O M G - that is gorgeous! Care to do some work at my house???? LOL

Congrats, pour yourself a cold one and enjoy a job very well done!
Eusibius2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 03:03 PM   #7

I like the top edge and the workmanship. I like the way the wall fits into the steps. It looks like a solid wall that will stand up to the years.

I don't care for the sections that appear to "scallop." It kind of looks like you couldn't decide between regularity and randomness and chose both. I can see how that would look great to some people though -- it's just not my favorite look.

That open section near the tree might end up being useful for moving the lawn mower or a wheel barrow from the garage up to the yard.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:01 AM   #8

Looks terrific & like it was meant to be there! Very unique! Can imagine I'd be doin' some cussin' too! Think you did a wonderful job! God Bless!
Lali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:56 PM   #9
Heritage Restoration

Congrats on keeping you original shutters on the house!

The stone wall looks slick too
Skuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 05:10 PM   #10
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 464

Great job scmolze!

I'd be proud to say I did the wall.

As Dave stated earlier, the only thing I would have done differently is to extend the wall completly into the hill by the tree. I understand th eissue with tree roots, but removing a few would be worth it to me since walls look th ebest when "outcropping" from th edirt IMO. But, I don't blame you if you don't want to touch another stone the rest of your life.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement