Filldirt / Sod Over Concrete - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Bud9051
  • 1 Post By beachfront71

Old 04-11-2018, 10:17 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 259

filldirt / sod over concrete

Long story short.. half our front yard is level, the other half is sloped.. we want to make it all level.

There is a sidewalk and steps that seperate the sloped side from the level side, as well as a sidewalk along the front of the house ...

All of the areas where the sidewalks are will be covered with fill dirt and sod on top when we level it all.

The fill height is approx 12-18 inches to match existing grade depending where the location you measure in the yard (farther away from curb, higher it gets).

My question:

Do I need to remove the sidewalks or can I lay fill dirt and sod right over them?
I do not know if there are any negatives in doing this ..

You can see in picture the right side of yard is level.. we are going to raise the area with the yellow lines to match the right side --most of the concrete falls in that area as well

There is a cinder block wall in middle of pic which shows you about how high we need to go to make it all level

(There will be a sunken planter along the entire front of the house to buffer the house from this new yard height)

Last edited by beachfront71; 04-11-2018 at 10:21 AM.
beachfront71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2018, 10:38 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,126

Re: filldirt / sod over concrete

As far as growing grass 12" to 18" above a layer of concrete, it will probably do just fine as it can drain to the sides.

One concern I see would be protecting the house from the run-off but I can't really judge from long distance.

Bud
Bondo and Guap0_ like this.
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2018, 12:46 PM   #3

Run off to house is not an issue..

Just did not know if leaving the concrete and just putting 12 inches of dirt over it would cause an unintended result somewhere down the line..

I am in SOCAL so rain overall is not as much as other areas and we will have a drainage plan implemented by modifyting existing drains
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2018, 01:25 PM   #4
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

I agree w/ Bud that "run off" maybe one of the unintended results. What is the existing drainage & how do you plan to "modify the existing drains"? I wouldn't depend that the rainfall will stay the same. I lived in Hermosa Beach for a few months in 1972 & I never saw rain like that.

Anyway, suppose you raised that section with a base & pavers instead of soil & sod? it's maintenance free & drainage can be easily installed.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:01 AM   #5

on the right side ( the flat side) there are no drains and have never been an issue of pooling.

the left side all slants towards the house which will get raised up and should stop the flow of water towards house.

there is an existing 5" drain at the corner of the house in the sidewalk area that we will tap into and use to add 2 drains in the newly raised left side of the yard..

I dont see how runoff would change for the worse if we are taking a sloped area and making it level -- seems to me that would be a positive move
CrazyGuy likes this.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:24 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 174

I have an area on each side of my drive where the culvert comes out. Grass always died in the heat of summer. My lawn guy told me I needed to add about 4 to 6 inches of soil in that area and seed it. It seems to be doing good so far and it's been two years. Mine was drying out because the soil was so shallow.
Old 04-12-2018, 01:11 PM   #7
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Quote:
there is an existing 5" drain at the corner of the house in the sidewalk area that we will tap into and use to add 2 drains in the newly raised left side of the yard
The plate on top maybe 5" but what is the size of the pipe & where does it go? It may not be big enough to accommodate the added drains. Keep that in mind. Didn't you like my paver idea?
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 03:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guap0_ View Post
The plate on top maybe 5" but what is the size of the pipe & where does it go? It may not be big enough to accommodate the added drains. Keep that in mind. Didn't you like my paver idea?
its a 4 inch pipe and wife said no pavers .. we are essentially remodeling yard so kid has a place to play .. on hill, no backyard really.

I have giong to have the guys take out all the concrete the yellow lines in first post are over.

They will leave approx 5 inches of it around the house as I cant get that out w/out breaking stucco..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement