Emerald Greens Eaten By Deer - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ryansdiydad
  • 1 Post By DoomsDave

Old 03-28-2019, 06:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 56

Emerald Greens eaten by deer

The past winter, we had numerous deers eat the bottom half of our Emerald Greens.

Any suggestions on any particular fertilizer that may help them grow this spring? Are these completely ruined?...just want to make sure they will regrow!

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Emerald Greens eaten by deer-emeraldgreen1.jpg   Emerald Greens eaten by deer-emeraldgreen2.jpg   Emerald Greens eaten by deer-emeraldgreen3.jpg  
stacik84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2019, 06:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,396

Re: Emerald Greens eaten by deer

If branches are bare they more than likely are done and will not regrow. However, it looks like there is still green on some of the branches so there is hope.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2019, 07:05 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,522

Same thing happened to mine.. I watered well and used fertilizer on them. But they didnít make much progress last summer... so I canít say it made any difference..

This past fall I wrapped the bottoms in burlap to keep the deer off.. either we had no deer or the burlap kept them away cause they were left alone.. they are starting this spring looking way better off than last spring...
stacik84 likes this.
ryansdiydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2019, 07:07 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 248

Sorry I don't know about the bush. Search but rotten egg solution worked for me on various plants around the house. But it looks like nothing helps if they have nothing else to eat. In nj and if snow covered, deers will start to eat the barks.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 03:56 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 6,978

@stacik84 , welcome aboard!

Looks like your plants are arborvitae, a kind of conifer bush, like a juniper. As @jmon and @ryansdiydad noted, when some plants get cut or eaten to nubs, they often don't grow back. Conifers, including a-vitae are among those that stay bare like Mother Hubbard's Cupboard, alas.

You're likely to hate what I'm about to say but here goes: you can try to see if they'll grow back, but my recommendation is to plan on replacing the bushes with something that the deer don't like, or, failing that, will grow back after getting eaten. We had a-vitae back on Ohio that got damaged on the lower portions and they wouldn't regrow, even though they had some leaves still on them. I'd contact a local ag extension of service or do some web searches. There's a lot of gardening websites, too that can help with this sort of thing.

There are some roses that can be used in a situation like yours, and, if they do get eaten they'll grow back. I've found repellants to be of very limited use. Big dogs might intimidate deer for a while, but stags impale them with antlers in the rut.

Let us know what you do, it will add to the general body of knowledge.
stacik84 likes this.

Last edited by DoomsDave; 03-29-2019 at 03:58 PM.
DoomsDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 04:16 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 780

Bird netting works very well to keep deer from eating foliage and it is cheap and invisible. Watering also makes many plants produce tender new growth which makes it more attractive to deer.
Calson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement