Electric Mower, Reel Mower Or Trimmer? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-31-2016, 01:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 36

Electric mower, reel mower or trimmer?

Hi, We have a brand new backyard. Went traveling for 2 weeks and grass is pretty high. For lawn maintenance, should I get a mower or a trimmer considering such a small area (about 240 sqft)?

Any suggestions for something easy to use and carry around?

And the clippings, should they be left on top of the grass or picked up? What's the best way to pick them up?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Electric mower, reel mower or trimmer?-img_9758.jpg  
skuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2016, 01:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 7,261

Re: Electric mower, reel mower or trimmer?

A reel mower might be a good choice for such a small area. Cut it regularly; tall grass is a bear with one of those.

A string trimmer is hard to control and get an even cut. If I wanted power for such a small area I would take a hard look at one of the battery style mowers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2016, 01:54 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,268

Leave the trimmings on the lawn.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2016, 02:41 PM   #4

Thanks for response. Will a reel mower be able to deal with such a high lawn I have currently?
After the first trim, can I go 2 weeks between mowing?
As far as clippings, will they decompose rather quickly?

Thanks
Old 08-31-2016, 03:30 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 4,268

Yes, clippings decompose quickly and provide moisture and nutrients to the lawn. Contrary to what many think, clippings have nothing to do with thatch.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 05:25 PM   #6
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 42

For a lawn that size I would vote for a push reel mower. There are some online reviews discussing various manufacturers. Seeing as you are providing the energy, smooth operation and quality build should be paramount.

It's difficult to comment on how often you would need to cut. Only you will be able to determine that based on growth rate, moisture, overall lawn health, etc. etc.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:36 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,260

Fiskars makes some nice products. Check out their reel pushers.

If you are asking about a string trimmer, I would avoid that in your setting. I suspect it would throw green grass juice all over the bricks and railing.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:13 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 18,058

All I do now that I'm so called retired is mow lawns.
For that small batch #1 I would suggest toto the home owner to get rid of it and go with mulch or stone instead so there's 0 mowing.
Short of that there's 0 reason a battery operated trimmer held flat could not do that small job, and an electric blower clean it up.
If the grass is high I'd be raking it up until you get it under control.
No way would I be using a reel mower!
Not going to be able to get close to the rails, the blades will hit the stepping stones.
Checked out the prices on a reel mower?
Well over $150.00 for a mower that will get used for about a min. to mow that tiny lawn.

Last edited by joecaption; 08-31-2016 at 07:18 PM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:44 AM   #9

I am reading that a reel mower might not be a good choice if I don't plan to mow often. And as it's so high right now, will it even work to cut down my lawn? thanks
Old 09-01-2016, 07:47 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,260

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuba View Post
I am reading that a reel mower might not be a good choice if I don't plan to mow often. And as it's so high right now, will it even work to cut down my lawn? thanks
With only a picture to determine the answer to this question and fairly certain the grass isn't Crab Grass, I'll say yes, a new sharp well adjusted reel mower will cut your lawn even though it may take multiple passes at that height.

I'm no expert now but I was nearly 70 years ago and this recommendation is only from memory. And believe it or not, we were so hi tech then there was even a grass catcher basket available that had to be un-hooked and emptied about every 2 rounds in grass that height. But we weren't fat azz lazy kids either.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:28 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuba View Post
Your grass looks good, but too tall. You cut grass when it needs it. In my growing season (spring and fall), I cut ours every week, but sometimes twice a week. July and August, can go up to 2-3 weeks. Really not good to wait for a lawn to get high and then scalp it back. It needs to be regularly cut. Any mower you get is at least 150.00 and do you have a place to store it?

Pay a neighborhood kid to cut it or replace it with something you don't have to cut.
47_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 04:39 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSitizen View Post
Fiskars makes some nice products. Check out their reel pushers.

If you are asking about a string trimmer, I would avoid that in your setting. I suspect it would throw green grass juice all over the bricks and railing.
I second the Fiskars. I have a reel mower of theirs that has a height that is adjustable up to 4". It's a "front discharge", and works really well on regular grass. Unfortunately for me, I can't use it as much as I'd like due to a weed problem.
mrichardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 03:31 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 58

there is a much more expensive option you could go. Its going to depend on just how lazy you want to be and how much is it worth not having to touch it. That small area would be perfect for a robot lawn mower. They are outrageously expensive but it would be a total lazy way of never having to mow yourself.
Doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:16 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 102

Bricks, stepping stones, tile, mulch and grass.....there's a lot going on in that 500 ft/2.
How about just giving a neighbor 5 bucks at a time and using his mower, if you really want to cut it yourself. That takes care of storage, also. That's too small to spend a lot on, but the grass itself looks beautiful.
Sub
subbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:20 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 102

You will still need something else to trim along the brick edges. Maybe a pair of Fiskars scissors if you're really patient??? (Just teasing)
subbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement