Electric Lopper Vs Chainsaw For Shrubs - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-26-2016, 10:55 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,120

Electric Lopper vs Chainsaw for shrubs

Hi;
I have a lot of heavy shrubbery I need to cut down. Trunks are not more than 2" dia; too large for hand lopper, and too time consuming for hand tree saw.
So I'm thinking of either a small electric chainsaw, or an electric lopper.
It would seem that the lopper would be just the tool I am looking for, but thinking ahead, I'm wondering whether a small (14-16") electric chainsaw might give me more service. I don't have a big back yard, and once the shrubs are cut down, and I have repaired the fencing that runs behind them, I want to allow them to grow back, but to keep them trimmed.
I am aware that a chainsaw is not the right tool for trimming shrubs - I have a hand trimmer that will work when it's only normal trimming.

I do want electric, definitely not gas, and not cordless. I have the power available, and don't want to deal with weak batteries, etc that plague cordless tools. I also believe that I can buy a better electric tool than cordless for the same money.

I was just going to rent an electric chainsaw, but checking HD, I find that the cost is almost $50/day ($33 4 hr min), and I can actually buy a small electric chainsaw for under $100. Sure, it's not going to be a real powerful one, but for what I need to do with it, and the frequency of use, I don't think I need to think big.

Any suggestions?
Thanks
CP

Ultrarunner2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2016, 11:50 AM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 638

Re: Electric Lopper vs Chainsaw for shrubs

I just bought a Remington electric chain saw, 14"'', 8 amps. Amazon $46.

rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2016, 12:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
I just bought a Remington electric chain saw, 14"'', 8 amps. Amazon $46.
I saw that one on the HD website. How do you like it?

I just remembered that I have a reciprocating saw. I have used it to cut small branches, but it takes a lot longer than a chain saw would.

The chainsaw that HD rents is a Makita, which is of course a lot more expensive than most DIYers will buy, but I hate to spend almost $50 just to use the thing for just one day.

CP

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2016, 12:44 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 6,997

I own a 14" and a 10" electric convertible pole saw (chainsaws). The 10" is less chain to drive and about all an urban homeowner will ever need. Mine does not have auto oiler and I wish it did.

The chains have a more aggressive pitch than a regular chain saw and you will be totally amazed at how well they work.

For pruning up to 2" limbs, close to fence or close to the ground I using a 3tpi pruning blade in a recip saw. The $3 pruning blade is a lot cheaper than a chain and handles the occasional rock or piece of wire far better.

The cheap sawalls from HarborFreight has enough power to do the job.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:54 PM   #5
A "Handy Husband"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE2KB View Post
I saw that one on the HD website. How do you like it?

I just remembered that I have a reciprocating saw. I have used it to cut small branches, but it takes a lot longer than a chain saw would.

The chainsaw that HD rents is a Makita, which is of course a lot more expensive than most DIYers will buy, but I hate to spend almost $50 just to use the thing for just one day.

CP
The Remington just showed up yesterday. Did some dead brush trimming this AM. Cut some up to 2.0" diameter. Works great. For $47 if it only lsts a season or two, it is worth the money. I had 1 of these Remington's a number of years ago. Must have had it for 10 years ago, left it when I moved South.

Old 06-26-2016, 02:14 PM   #6

Amazing what can be had today for such a low cost. Almost makes renting tools unnecessary. But of course when you rent, you get a heavy-duty or commercial grade tool. Even between Home Depot and a local rental shop I found significant difference in quality / capacity. I recently needed to rent a jackhammer. I rented one from the local shop. It was of excellent quality, and very well maintained. Another time I rented a jackhammer of similar size from Home Depot, and it wasn't as well made, and needed maintenance. One of the long bolts that holds the motor case together fell out.

So, for now, I'm going to get the tree-cutting blades for my reciprocating saw. It's a DeWalt, a nice tool.

Old 06-27-2016, 06:05 PM   #7
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,342

Ayuh,..... I trim my lilacs with a chainsaw, 'course, I'm a wood burner with a barn fulla saws too,....

The one thing I can tell ya, use a Sharp chain,....

Like a dull knife, a dull chainsaw is the one that'll hurt ya,.....
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 07:23 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 102

Did anyone notice the part where he says that he wants a corded tool? I do not think that a cord and a chainsaw go together. Either go lithium, or if you must use a cord, go with the lopper. (Just my thought here). Sub
subbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:21 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 17,912

I also have one of those cheap Remington's and we used to use it all the time inside houses cutting out old beams that had rotted out.
Surprising how powerful it was cutting old growth pine timbers.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:17 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,366

Many electric powered chain saws but they will chew right through your chaps that would gag a gas saw. For lilacs, you don't cut them all anyway. Two or three of the OLDEST shoots feat gone every year. Ron
ront02769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:29 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,577

I had a battery chainsaw. Returned it. It worked, but it was slower than my cordless reciprocating saw. A corded chainsaw - even a really cheap one - is a formidable tool.
mathmonger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 07:05 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,602

Have you looked at the Jaw Saw by Worx? I use it to cut down small trees and branches.
mikegp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:28 AM   #13
A "Handy Husband"

IMHO An electric chain saw is the ideal tool for occasional small jobs. Very little maintenance required, always starts with the pull of the trigger. Never a dead battery and never runs out of gas.

Old 06-29-2016, 11:41 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbuilder View Post
Did anyone notice the part where he says that he wants a corded tool? I do not think that a cord and a chainsaw go together. Either go lithium, or if you must use a cord, go with the lopper. (Just my thought here). Sub
What's the problem with a corded chainsaw? I have no trouble managing the cord. I have used a corded chainsaw before (when I was only about 17 years old) and had no trouble. Have been using a corded lawnmower for at least 30 years and have never run over the cord.
Of course I always plug the cord into a GFCI protected circuit, and make sure the ground conductor is not cut/broken.

CP

Old 06-30-2016, 10:33 AM   #15

Question on Reciprocating blades:
Should I get 5 or 6 TPI for cutting shrubs/tree branches, and should I spend a little more to get Bosch or other name-brand, or the cheaper Diablo branded blades? There appears to be about a $5 difference in pkg of 5 blades on Amazon.
I'm thinking 9" is best for my needs, but I could get 12".

Sponsored Links
Advertisement