Echo Leaf Blower Not Starting - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By djlandkpl

Old 10-15-2017, 05:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 16

Echo Leaf Blower not Starting

A guy gave me a Echo compact back pack leaf blower yesterday. It doesn't run but he purchased a new carb for it awhile back and he said it ran for like 2 weeks and stopped running after installing the new carb, carb was one of the Chinese made. He also gave me the original carb.
So anyways, i cleaned the original carb well, installed it and tried starting and it would not attempt to start.
I previously checked to see if it had spark first thing. It has plenty of spark. It has great compression. I took the spark plug out after trying to start it and it was damp with fuel. It didn't looked like it was flooding. The spark plug is new.
Can someone point me in the right direction here please. The leaf blower is in too good of condition to just trash.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated and thank you for taking the time to read my post.
Jray72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2017, 06:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,496

Re: Echo Leaf Blower not Starting

Something you might consider trying with this little feller is remove the air filter so the carburetor throat opening is exposed and with the plug removed crank it a few strokes to purge any fuel that may be in the cylinder.

Dry the plug with a flame, propane torch, gas cook range flame or whatever is handy. Hold it with pliers and get the business end plenty hot.

Install the plug and being the air filter was removed now you can squirt about a 1/4" of gas from an eye dropper into the carb throat air passage. Leave the choke in off position "NO CHOKE" and don't touch that primer bulb, switch in "ON" position and crank it. With good blue spark at the correct time they will usually fire and run until that eye dropper fuel supply is exhausted. If it fires we have good news and can go on to bigger and better things.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2017, 06:25 PM   #3

Hi SeniorSitizen and thank you for your reply and helpful information. I will try this tomorrow.
I have the filter off already. Removed the spark plug. I pulled string to expel any extra fuel from the cylinder. (i did not heat the spark plug but i will). Thing never even tried to start.
Like i said though, i will try your technique tomorrow.
Let me ask you this; what do i need to do if it doesn't attempt to start with this method? I really don't see why it shouldn't start though.
Again thank you for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2017, 06:54 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,496

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jray72 View Post
Hi SeniorSitizen and thank you for your reply and helpful information. I will try this tomorrow.
I have the filter off already. Removed the spark plug. I pulled string to expel any extra fuel from the cylinder. (i did not heat the spark plug but i will). Thing never even tried to start.
Like i said though, i will try your technique tomorrow.
Let me ask you this; what do i need to do if it doesn't attempt to start with this method? I really don't see why it shouldn't start though.
Again thank you for your time.
If they don't try to run with that method I take them to someone that likes to work on small engines which I don't care to do.
The primer bulb and associated hoses need to be in good condition also. I've replaced those but the industry has made that a pain. Example: Order original equipment parts through a Echo dealer and get parts from Twain or half dozen other places that make ill fitting parts.

Before retirement my specialty was a 1,000 horse power or more at 300 - 950 rpm. Pulling 1,200 lb. pistons/rods with a hoist was more fun and paid way better too.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 06:59 PM   #5

I do not care to take mine to the shop either. Hopefully i can get it to going. I will try your technique tomorrow and get back with you.
Sounds like a very interesting job and great expertise needed.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:22 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 188

Take the fuel filter off and see if it will start without it. I went through 2 carbs over 3 years thinking it was the carb when it was the fuel filter being dirty.
joecaption likes this.
Advertisement