Drainage System? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Woahpete
  • 1 Post By de-nagorg
  • 1 Post By Woahpete
  • 1 Post By Guap0_
  • 1 Post By de-nagorg
  • 1 Post By Guap0_
  • 1 Post By Bondo
  • 1 Post By AllanJ

Old 03-14-2018, 07:46 PM   #1

Drainage system?

I had to have dirt work done for my modular home to pass inspection. This has left me with a huge hill that is sloped down towards my house. there is no doubt in my mind that the first time it rains it's going to flood my yard. Looking for cheap-ish ideas to fix this issue, as I can't do more dirt work. In the photo I'm standing in our driveway (which will be graveled soon). There is a slight slope downward to our backyard.
Attached Thumbnails
Drainage system?-img_20180314_185825_1521074768712.jpg  
M&S likes this.
Woahpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2018, 09:15 PM   #2
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Re: Drainage system?

Who did the work?
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2018, 09:46 PM   #3
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 4,038

What kind of work was done, general landscaping, or a trench for plumbing or some other?

The hill should have never been left, get the person responsible for this mess to straighten it out, FREE.

ED
Guap0_ likes this.
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2018, 11:18 PM   #4

So, what happened was the home builder hired contractors to do dirt work before skirting was put on. They didn't like the timeframe the contractors gave them to get it done and hired a different company to come.in and do skirting before the dirt work was finished. The dug out places to put cement footings for the skirting, when they should have made it level with where the ground already was. It failed inspection for this. The homebuilder and original contractors and myself have fought with the inspection company on solutions to this problem for over a month. We are shot down every time. They would pass the house ONLY if a small ditch was dug about 10ft from the house to create a small downward slope away from the home. They don't care what happens with the rest of the yard. (Yes, seriously!) The contractors today told me the inspectors said we can fill it in with dirt after it passes if we want to. Of course, we would have to pay for that. I'd rather figure out an actual drainage system as we already had pooling in the yard before this dirt work was done. I'm also in the process of fighting the homebuilder on paying for a soultion.
M&S likes this.
Woahpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:23 AM   #5
Guapo

Now that it passed, how much would it cost to re-grade the yard to correct the slope?
M&S likes this.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:29 AM   #6
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 4,038

Simplest way is to scrape that extra dirt off, and haul it away.

Maybe the builder will do this, if you withhold the final payment for the build.

ED
M&S likes this.
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:18 AM   #7
Guapo

Why pay to haul it? Move it close to the house. That will re-grade the property.
de-nagorg likes this.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:55 AM   #8
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,342

Quote:
In the photo I'm standing in our driveway (which will be graveled soon).
Ayuh,...... Most driveway crews understand pitch, 'n water flow control,......

They'll have equipment "on-site",....

Strike a deal with them to fix All yer gradin' issues at the same time,.....
de-nagorg likes this.
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:36 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,800

You need a downslope away from your house. The inspection required that the downslope extend at least 10 feet away from your house. Ideally the downslope should extend more than that. Eventually you run out of room and the slope has to go back up to match the land further beyond.

By hauling away some of the dirt you may give yourself more room for the downslope to extend away more.

By raising the ground at your foundation (some limitations apply) you can make use of some of the surplus dirt and also give yourself more downslope before the slope has to go back up again.
M&S likes this.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:14 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 770

Id be inclined to take advantage of gravity and dig in some of that black corrugated weeper pipe with holes up and none on the bottom. Id lay a length in between the house and tree and with a down grade pitch away let it daylight where ever is suitable. Lay the pipe in a bed of stone. Id use the cloth covered one holes up as I said and more gravel on top.

Ive done something similar and it works like a charm. Dont forget to cap the end with a grate to keep out critters
Wesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:33 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 4,424

Sometimes you can't get a good idea from a picture.
But from what I see you have a good slope according to the picture.

Roll the ground with a big roller.
This will minimize any damage from rain until you seed.

Maybe.

Lay sod instead of seed.
It will keep everything from washing away.
Instant yard that will enjoy the rain.

Last edited by ron45; 03-21-2018 at 06:36 AM.
ron45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 01:36 PM   #12
M&S
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 20

Installing drain pipe if you have an open trench is a super cheap way to get rid of a LOT of water away from the house. However, the ideal scenario is to grade the path for the water to go away from the house even without drains. This looks like a flood waiting to happen. You'll never regret taking the time and minor expense to do this right.

Peace of mind is priceless.
M&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement