Drainage Issue. Need Advice!! - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By k140db
  • 1 Post By de-nagorg

Old 05-16-2018, 10:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8

Drainage issue. Need advice!!

Good evening all!!

I need some advice in regards to drainage from my gutters and sump pump. I'll try to make this quick and painless.

1. Sump pump- In Image#2, you can see where the pipe comes out from beside the AC and runs the wall of the house. In Image #1, you can see where it dumps out. That was a dumb place for me to run it because of it causing issues with the cellar stairwell walls. I want to reroute the sump pump line but not sure if my idea would work. So, I was wondering if I could run it under the deck and have it dump out near the border bricks that are pictured in Image #3. There are small rocks lining the underside of the whole deck from the house to those tan bricks which is a little over 1o feet away. I'm guessing that's far enough away from the house. I remember hearing the magic number being 6 feet. My questions would be 1. would that work? 2. Do I need to run the line underground or can I have it end on top of the rocks flowing out onto a splash block? 3. Would it be better if the pipe ends at the bricks edge and dump right onto the grass? 4. Would the excess water cause issues with the footers for the deck?

2. Downspout- In Image #1 you can see where I have the downspout hooked up to a flex pipe. From the bottom of the downspout to where the pipe dumps are about 3.5-4 feet. Any ideas on how I could better direct the water away from the house? There's a concrete slab with a shed sitting on top about 6 feet from the edge of the flex pipe and a brick patio next to that which I just had done last year and don't want that ruined either. I also don't want to cause any possible water damage to my foundation or the cellar steps from here on out.

I will gladly take any and all suggestions. Sorry, I got long winded but being a novice landscaper at best, I figured it was time to break down and ask for some advice. If you need more info or if there are any questions, I'll be happy to provide you with what I can.

Thanks in advance,
Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Drainage issue. Need advice!!-lawn1.jpg   Drainage issue. Need advice!!-lawn2.jpg   Drainage issue. Need advice!!-lawn3.jpg  
k140db is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2018, 11:12 PM   #2
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 110

Re: Drainage issue. Need advice!!

Get 4" PVC lengths, and fittings to run a drain line out and off a curb, or hill into a gully, or whatever low area that you can find.

Now use a trenching shovel, and remove some sod, in a direct line to the chosen area, move the sod away far enough that it can be reused.

use the trench shovel, to remove enough dirt to bury the 4" in,
Stockpile the dirt on a tarp, plywood, cardboard, something to keep it off the lawn, now with enough slope to have flow, cover the 4" enough that the sod can be reinstalled.

Your runoff will go offsite and not be a problem for you.

Make sure that any neighbor is not affected by the extra water coming their way.

ED

Last edited by de-nagorg; 05-16-2018 at 11:16 PM. Reason: add
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2018, 09:52 PM   #3

So I'm guessing my idea would not work??
Nealtw likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2018, 11:55 PM   #4
JUSTA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by k140db View Post
So I'm guessing my idea would not work??
You don't want to drain a lot of water across your pavers, it can soak in and cause problems in the underlayment, even if it was installed correctly.

You want the drainage to get out of your property.

ED
Nealtw likes this.
Old 05-28-2018, 01:09 PM   #5

Just use PVC pipes and plain old PVC cement? No special needed materials since this will be running underground??

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 05-28-2018, 01:23 PM   #6
JUSTA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by k140db View Post
Just use PVC pipes and plain old PVC cement? No special needed materials since this will be running underground??

Thanks,
Kevin
That's basically correct.

You might want to get a pop-up end for the exit point, that will keep critters, and dirt, leaves, weeds out of the pipe and plugging it up.

But basically you are just diverting the water underground away from your home, to a place that it won't harm your property, or your neighbors.

ED
Old 05-31-2018, 09:07 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 32

I don't think your house is graded properly. Water should flow away from the foundation, not toward it.
kcdmps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 09:44 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,800

You do not want water spilling or otherwise ending up in the landscaped area.

The mulch or other porous material just below grade will accumulate water and increase the chances of water getting into your basement.

A downspout or sump pump discharge needs to go into a non-perforated horizontal pipe, either above ground or underground, that eventually dumps the water far enough beyond the landscaped area where the water will not migrate back towards the house.
Advertisement