Drainage Ideas? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-13-2016, 10:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

drainage ideas?

Greetings all -
got a drainage situation im looking for input on. my auto repair business is next to my house and the packed dirt parking lot (see pic) drains horribly when ever it rains. in fact it doesnt drain barely at all. only in the summer does it "burn" off. So i have a machine rented to do some digging on some other projects around the property next week and i was thinking of doing something about this. My first thought is to dig a trench across the end of the lot into the woods where there is a small creek that actually drains under the street to a swamp across the street. I was thinking some corrugated & perforated drain pipe (4" black plastic) sitting on a bed of gravel in a trench going from the center of the low spot (currently the largest puddle closest to the road) where i will build a larger circular gravel bed, straight across to the woods on the left . i have done this before with success at my old house but for gutter drains . my only questions are 1) what size gravel to use - thinking not tiny crushed gravel but larger maybe 3/4 stone so the water not only drains THRU the pipe but into the ground better. the ground is super hard packed dirt filled with small stones 2) what do i put for an "entrance" on the end of the pipe in the center of my lot? when doing it to a gutter its fairly easy , just run it alway up to the base of it. but for a non-specific location that will be covered in gravel and then dirt im not sure what to use... so those are my two questions im looking for input on.
thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
drainage ideas?-img_0940.jpg  
macraeauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2016, 11:57 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,800

Re: drainage ideas?

Gravel does not help water soak into the ground.

The gravel just hides the water and provides a raised surface for people to stand on or walk on without getting their feet wet as the water still takes the same amount of time to soak into the ground the gravel is sitting on.

A layer of gravel also allows larger amounts of water to gravitate sight unseen to the edges of the parking lot or other plot in question when you were unable to get a smooth ultra gentle slope in the ground surface itself. Water will still stay behind in any low spots in the dirt surface under the gravel.

The best solution or starting point is to regrade the surface where water is giving problems so water will drain off to one or two sides.

A large area covered with a layer of gravel is not the best place as the final destination of water draining off from other areas. Water will take its time soaking into the ground here, too.

A downhill channel to the creek should be included. It would have a drain pipe in it. It, too, would be filled with gravel to keep people from tripping over it or falling into it.

Last edited by AllanJ; 10-13-2016 at 12:00 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AllanJ For This Useful Post:
macraeauto (10-13-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2016, 12:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 342

Don't know what area you are in but around our area if you discharge surface run off into a creek or wetland without the appropriate permit, the DEP will pay you a visit.
ZTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2016, 01:07 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 708

Dig a big hole and fill it with large rocks to act as a sump pit.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:19 PM   #5
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,344

Ayuh,.... There's No reason for diggin' any trenches, 'n usin' pipes to drain that,....
Think KISS,....

So long as the wooded area to the left in the picture is where ya wanta send the water,....
It looks like all 3 puddles are almost gettin' to go, but the 1st 10' or so of the green brush area is too high,....

Cut a swale in the green brush area to pitch away, 'n drop a load of gravel into the big waterhole,....
Then grade it off, so's All the water pitches into yer swale, 'n eventually out to sea,....
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
macraeauto (10-13-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 06:40 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 128

The KISS method is terribly underused these days.
DIYknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement