Downspout Solutions - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-31-2015, 11:11 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

Downspout solutions

Here is the Downspout for my front walkway.

The dirt area will be a small raised garden. I am not really happy with the location of the downspout laying right across the main walkway.

I figure I can dig down and try to connnect to weeping ( integrity of sidewalk? how far down? bottom of foundation would be like 9 feet. doesnt seem doable) or I can go under the sidewalk and do something then. Any ideas. Im located in Edmonton alberta Canada. Also where would I look to find applicible codes and permits required?
thefatpigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2015, 11:39 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 370

Downspout on a hinge? you got to be kidding...........That downspout should be running into a 4" schedule 40 pipe that routes under the slab.

Can't really say where it should end up based on that one picture but it needs to be corrected imo.

Better to do it now before landscaping or it will likely never happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2015, 11:57 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 14

where should it go? weeping?
thefatpigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2015, 06:42 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 91

well, from the pic it looks like you could do a couple of things.

1. You could disconnect the hinged part, run it the rest of the way down and turn it so it dumps on the sidewalk and drains towards the road.

2. You could disconnect the hinged part, run it down to 3" or 4" PVC and run it under your sidewalk and your yard out to the street (comes out at curb).

3. You could run it down to weeping tile but that is going to be tiresome or costly. You are going to have to dig down pretty far to reach your weeping tile...
nvycrmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 06:47 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,566

I'd move it to the corner and run it onto the drive.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:03 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSitizen View Post
I'd move it to the corner and run it onto the drive.
This is the easiest solution. Just relocate the downspout to the portion of the gutter near the garage door, and have is discharge down the driveway. Heck, you could probably just add an elbow where the "hinged" joint is now, and run it towards the front of the house, discharging onto the sidewalk.

I guess maybe in Canada discharging across a walkway is bad news because of concerns about icing? In that case I'd do the same thing but run 3" pvc under the sidewalk and discharge into the yard. You can tunnel under the sidewalk fairly quickly with something like this:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Orbit-Wal...3333/100127846
red92s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement