Downspout Drainage Issue - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2015, 04:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 338

Downspout drainage issue

So I recently did some major regrading of my front yard (removing 30+ yards of soil) and installing some new retaining walls. These walls are mostly decorative in that they only hold back some stone so as to create flat areas that don't have grass to be mowed.

My concern is that these new walls are on either side of my house directly in front of where the downspouts drain. I will fill in behind the walls with some 3/4 stone but I am worried that the snowmelt mainly will be trapped behind the wall and push the wall in the winter. I know this is an issue with soil fill but I'm looking for advice on if that even pertains in my situation with the stone.

I think I have three options here.
1) Redirect the downspouts on top of the stones behind the wall.
2) Redirect the downspouts into a perforated pipe behind the wall under the stones running the length of the wall (50' on one side and about 20' on the other) to distribute the water further and lessen the amount in one area.
3) Daylight the downspout through the wall. I don't like this option as this puts the water in my neighbor's yard which doesn't drain well (part of the need for the wall and all the regrading).

Here is a picture for reference. This wall continues for about 50 feet to the right off the picture. There is 6-8" of gravel under the wall and the blocks are all glued.

iminaquagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2015, 06:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,999

Fourth option though you may not find them at HD or Lowes. Use a side angle elbow to direct the water past the wall (to the left in the pic above) and into a splash block or pipe.

Style B is the proper name downspoutdiverters.com/product_downspout_elbows_dd.php
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2015, 08:57 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,424

How much rain water will the wall and stone hold inside without the added downspout.?

Did you keep the ground sloping away from the house.?
Did you use a plastic on the slope to keep it from absorbing water.?
Does the wall have some type of drainage.?

Looks good....
ron45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2015, 10:02 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 338

Unfortunately directing outside the wall to the left would put it directly into the front yard and planting bed. There is no attractive way to do that short of burying it with a pop up and those don't work well here in the winter.

To answer the questions, the bed will hold approximately 1500 gallons of water without accounting for the stones, so much less. The ground does slope away from the house, I will be using fabric rather than plastic under the stones to facilitate drainage, and the wall does have some gaps between the block. There will be a perforated pipe directly behind the wall buried in the stones. I think I'm making an issue where there isn't one really. I am having siding work done, so I may just have them reslope the gutter to the other side of the house.

Here is another pic from a different angle.
iminaquagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:35 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,800

You have a big mistake on your hands.

You do not want a bed of stone against the foundation accumulating 1500 or so gallons of water.

A bed of stone against the house is equal to grading the land to slope down into the house.

Drain pipes are supposed to take the excess water clear away, not distribute all of that water in the same space close to the house.

Ideally rain water should run down the front lawn away from the house. If too much used to go to the side towardst he neighbor then a gentle low point (swale) should be made centered on the property line.

Last edited by AllanJ; 08-03-2015 at 07:41 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement