DIY Selective Weed Killer - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-24-2015, 05:00 PM   #1
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 528

DIY selective weed killer

Anyone know any good spray/grain spread solutions that I can cover my whole lawn to kill dandelions and other weeds? I normally do it by hand but it's gotten out of control. I think all the tiny ones I did not bother with last year have now come back to haunt me.

I've googled and found some but they seem to be reather unselective, ex: salt... you don't really want to just spray that everywhere.

Failing that, I'm thinking of just ordering Killex from ebay, but it's illegal here so it will be my last resort, and I rather not use harsh chemicals if I don't have to. I can always get Weedman too but I want to do it myself if I can.

Pulling out the weeds by hand on it's own is not a huge issue, it's what to do with them. I can fill up a huge garbage bin and still have more, and I don't think the garbage man enjoys emptying that. (I'm surprised they even pick it up tbh, as they normally don't take organic waste)

Does overseeding also help? I heard it does, but I do it every year, and I don't think it's helping, but maybe I need to water it more.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2015, 05:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 7,540

Use Weed-B-Gone. It works well on broad-leaf weeds like dandelions. The active ingredient is basically just rusty water, so its legal in Ontario. Buy the big one gallon jug (about $35) the pull-pump sprayer is handy, and you will use the whole jug faster than you expect (don't be stingy with the stuff)
For stubborn weeds like clover, spray them liberally, then go back after a few days and re-spay anything that is still green. Repeat as necessary.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2015, 09:31 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 996

basic "weed & feed" works well for me. just put it in the spreader, push it around, then wait = it ain't going to work over night.

for tougher weeds. i use WEED-BE-GONE MAX. put it in a pump sprayer. go around and spray JUST THE LEAFS of the plant, then wait. could take weeks, but it works. after the plant has wilted down some, just cut it off at the dirt.
oh. you have to do this when it will not be wet for at least a few days, otherwise it just washes of. and be carefull about getting it on grass, to much will kill your grass. been there done that.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2015, 09:47 AM   #4
Wire Chewer

Yeah I need something that is safe for grass. If I had to guess I probably have over 1000, I'm not going to go around individually spraying each one, may as well just pull them out at that point. I will probably still pull out the bigger ones. Basically I need something similar to what Weed Man would use. I have a pump sprayer and also one that attaches to the hose so any product I can get or make to use with that would be perfect. I might settle for the Weed B Gone, sounds like it may do the job, I can just spray that everywhere right?

The trick is finding a span where it wont rain for at least a few days, that might be hard.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:07 AM   #5

If you have a lot of weeds, it probably is faster (maybe cheaper) to have a pro do it. Very possibly the stuff they will use is the same active ingredient as the Weed-B-Gone they sell over here, but it goes by a different name - can't think of it right now. I had a clover problem at my mother's a few years back - called the guys in to spray it --- it was amazing how well it worked. I was so impressed I Googled up the stuff they sprayed, and found it was the same stuff as in Weed-B-Gone.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:08 AM   #6

read my post again. WBG will kill grass. and you don't need it for dandelions.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:40 AM   #7
Wire Chewer

Are you sure? From what I'm reading it says it wont harm the grass.

http://www.ortho.com/smg/goprod/orth...u/prod11360003

Though it looks like they do sell one made to kill grass, so I have to pick the right one!
Old 05-25-2015, 10:42 AM   #8

Not sure its the same formulation down there that it is up here. I spray it on my grass every time I see a weed and it does not hurt my grass at all (there is a note on the instructions however, "do not use on drought stressed grass or just planted grass". On my lawn, it will kill a dandelion or thistle is a couple of days. They say not to use it if rain is expected within 3 hours.

http://www.scotts.ca/smg/goprod/scot...e/prod10440002
Old 05-25-2015, 11:23 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

I have not found a a diy killer that is selective. But I had a yard full of of those yellow flowers the first couple summers I bought my new house there are two ways both have been. Mentioned in posts above. But weed and feed is worth it so the dandelion cannot spread. Then it is your choice how to deal with re ones already there. I like weed be gone max.

Living the dream one nightmare at a time.
cad99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 01:52 PM   #10
Wire Chewer

Ended up buying the Weed Be Gone. I'll wait for a good time where I know it wont rain for a while and apply it. Is it safe to apply when there's still a frost at night or should I wait?
Old 05-25-2015, 01:59 PM   #11

You must be up there if you are still worried of frost. Never read anything about frost, one way or another. I would go for it.
Old 05-25-2015, 02:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
Are you sure? From what I'm reading it says it wont harm the grass.
it kills my grass. i have creeping charley. i spay WBGmax just on the charley leafs. it kills it. i had a heavily infested area, but it still had some grass. the WBG killed all of it.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:24 PM   #13
Wire Chewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS-1 View Post
You must be up there if you are still worried of frost. Never read anything about frost, one way or another. I would go for it.
Normally summer would start by now but it seems with climate change they are actually shrinking on us in the past few years. We get part of June, and July, and that's about it now. There's a whole section I need to try to get grass to grow but the summers are actually too short for the germination period to take place lol. Might have to settle for some pre grown sod and roll it in.

The dandelions sure don't have trouble with this weather though lol. Mind you the areas that do have grass are growing pretty well too, I had to mow the lawn the other day for the first time.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
Might have to settle for some pre grown sod and roll it in.
Sod is so much easier. If you are doing a 5000 sq. ft. lawn, maybe it starts getting expensive, but for doing repairs, its only $2 or $3 per roll. Down here, even Canadian Tire sells it, but you never know how long its been sitting around. The nursery down the road orders it in once a week --- it gets harvested Thursday afternoon, and ready for pickup or delivery on Friday morning.
And no weeds -- never had that with seed grown grass.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:56 PM   #15
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,418

The effective ingredient you are looking for is "2,4-D." It doesn't really matter what brand it is, or whether you use granules, concentrate, or ready-to-spray spray. You want 2,4-D.

This is a herbicide that has been around for the better part of 100 years. It kills broad-leaf foliage but does not kill grass.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement