Digging Trench In Soggy Yard - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 04-20-2015, 11:05 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 44
Rewards Points: 68
Default

Digging trench in soggy yard


I have decided French drains leading into a sump pump is my only option for getting my yard usable (currently always soggy after a rain; cant even mow it until a week or so after rainfall). I am concerned that when I start digging my trench it will just fill up with water. Should I just wait until is hasn't rained for a week or so and try it then? Will it be possible to create the trench I need even if its fills with water while I am trying to fix the problem? Maybe I should have the sump pump hooked up and draining the water out while I dig? Any tips are appreciated.

Thanks
jabrock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-20-2015, 02:42 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer
 
Bondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chaumont River, Ny.
Posts: 8,632
Rewards Points: 1,342
Default


Ayuh,.... I ain't gonna say it can't be done, but it ain't easy workin' in a trench full of water,....

A trashpump might keep up with it as ya go,...

Yer problem needs to be fixed with surface gradin',....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-20-2015, 02:56 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 44
Rewards Points: 68
Default


If I could solve via regrade I would but I have neighboring fences on all sides and my current grade it at or below street level. I don't know what else to do besides a sump pump.
jabrock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-20-2015, 03:01 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 44
Rewards Points: 68
Default


This is what I am dealing with after a heavy rain fall. It stays wet for quite a while after.
Attached Thumbnails
Digging trench in soggy yard-left-side-house.jpg  
jabrock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 03:16 PM   #5
Master General ReEngineer
 
Bondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chaumont River, Ny.
Posts: 8,632
Rewards Points: 1,342
Default


Ayuh,.... I tried in yer other thread, but confusion set in,....

In there, at yer back fence, in yer overhead pictures, does the water flow From behind the fence, into yer yard,..??
If it's yer neighbor's water, comin' in, the Fix starts over there,...

Yer blue arrows say the water flows away from yer side of the fence to the other side,...
If it wants to flow under the fence away from you, cut the bottom of the fence off,...

Last edited by Bondo; 04-20-2015 at 03:19 PM.
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:35 PM   #6
Member
 
firehawkmph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Near Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 2,318
Rewards Points: 2,464
Default


Bondo,
My yard is larger, but fairly flat, just a slight pitch towards the street. I installed French drains down both sides of the yard. In my case, I had a trencher that dug a 6" slot. I was able to go about 12" deep. I used 4" perforated schedule 35 PVC pipe and laid it in the trench. Covered with #57 limestone to grade. Raked out the dirt that came out of the hole about 1/2" deep over the gravel and through some grass seed on it. Grass grew, water drains, no problem cutting grass the next day. I used to have standing water for a week after a good rain. I have a shallow drainage ditch next to the street that my pipes dump into. You could run yours just deep enough to bury the pipe and cover with an inch of gravel, as long as the water has somewhere to exit the pipe. If you go to dig, wait for dry weather or you'll have a mess. I did mine in July when it's dry and hot up here in Ohio.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:01 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 44
Rewards Points: 68
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Bondo,
My yard is larger, but fairly flat, just a slight pitch towards the street. I installed French drains down both sides of the yard. In my case, I had a trencher that dug a 6" slot. I was able to go about 12" deep. I used 4" perforated schedule 35 PVC pipe and laid it in the trench. Covered with #57 limestone to grade. Raked out the dirt that came out of the hole about 1/2" deep over the gravel and through some grass seed on it. Grass grew, water drains, no problem cutting grass the next day. I used to have standing water for a week after a good rain. I have a shallow drainage ditch next to the street that my pipes dump into. You could run yours just deep enough to bury the pipe and cover with an inch of gravel, as long as the water has somewhere to exit the pipe. If you go to dig, wait for dry weather or you'll have a mess. I did mine in July when it's dry and hot up here in Ohio.
Mike Hawkins
My issue with that is if I start my trench towards the back of the house and dig down 8" for example, by the time I get my pipe to the street, with a slight downward slop in the trench, I will be well below street level. Does a French drain have to lead to daylight?
jabrock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:13 AM   #8
Master General ReEngineer
 
Bondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chaumont River, Ny.
Posts: 8,632
Rewards Points: 1,342
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrock1 View Post
My issue with that is if I start my trench towards the back of the house and dig down 8" for example, by the time I get my pipe to the street, with a slight downward slop in the trench, I will be well below street level. Does a French drain have to lead to daylight?
Ayuh,... Have any grades been shot with a laser level,..??
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:36 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 44
Rewards Points: 68
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,... Have any grades been shot with a laser level,..??
I measured best I could with a line/ line level. Had a couple inches of drop from the back corner of the house to the street. approx. 3" over about 75 feet. Got a guy coming this week to take a look at it. Hopefully he can shoot it with a laser level.
jabrock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:48 AM   #10
Master General ReEngineer
 
Bondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chaumont River, Ny.
Posts: 8,632
Rewards Points: 1,342
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrock1 View Post
I measured best I could with a line/ line level. Had a couple inches of drop from the back corner of the house to the street. approx. 3" over about 75 feet. Got a guy coming this week to take a look at it. Hopefully he can shoot it with a laser level.
Ayuh,.... With the tiny margins yer workin' with, a string level ain't accurate enough, by a mile,...

Ya need to shoot it with a laser level, 'n story pole, or a low tech sight level, 'n story pole,...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:50 AM   #11
Master General ReEngineer
 
Bondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chaumont River, Ny.
Posts: 8,632
Rewards Points: 1,342
Default


'n ya still haven't said whether the water at the back fence is Comin' from the neighbor's, or goin' to the neighbor's,.....

Now ya got 2 threads 'bout the same topic, 'n I'm postin' in the wrong one,....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:19 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 44
Rewards Points: 68
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
'n ya still haven't said whether the water at the back fence is Comin' from the neighbor's, or goin' to the neighbor's,.....

Now ya got 2 threads 'bout the same topic, 'n I'm postin' in the wrong one,....
Haha my bad! Lets just carry on in the other thread
jabrock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Worst Back Yard ever...HELP! Cycule Landscaping & Lawn Care 2 09-04-2014 01:45 PM
Digging up large yard Budfudder Landscaping & Lawn Care 4 09-02-2014 07:22 PM
Something is digging in my yard at night SingleGuy Landscaping & Lawn Care 6 03-23-2012 06:49 PM
Back yard redo - Weeds out of control carquote Landscaping & Lawn Care 6 03-03-2012 08:24 PM
digging a trench for electrical...direction? Dusty Electrical 5 10-16-2006 02:44 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts