Digging Critters - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2018, 06:07 PM   #1
HDS

Rewards Points: 318

Digging critters

Found these two holes in my yard, they are 2 inches in diameter, one is 12 inches deep and the other is 16 inches deep, basically straight down.

We do have squirrels a plenty and lots of small holes in the yard. The yard is also quite bumpy too. The squirrels and birds have been picking at the yard a lot so figured grubs. Was going to treat for the grubs with a granual insecticide.

Also have noticed some chipmonks and we do have a skunk that lives somewhere near by.

There doesn't seem to be any tunnels to indicate moles, so not sure what else it could be.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
HDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2018, 06:49 PM   #2
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Re: Digging critters

Does it really bother you or is it causing other problems? What would you like to see happen?
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2018, 06:50 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 6

Why does it matter? afraid of turning ankle?
matt100500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2018, 07:13 PM   #4
HDS

With the lawn as bumpy as it is, turning an ankle is possible. The kids also fall when running too.

Old 10-17-2018, 07:15 PM   #5
HDS

The other issue is you can really feel the bumps when mowing. The riding mower wasn't an issue, but now using a walk behind push mower it is rough going.

Old 10-18-2018, 12:20 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,144

Yes, squirrels do a fine job of screwing up a yard. They dig around for nuts. If you have big mature trees, they will terrorize the yard.

I have a custom built whisper rifle that I use frequently to "solve problems". Works great!

Last edited by viper; 10-18-2018 at 12:44 AM.
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:50 AM   #7
retired painter

Rewards Points: 656

Skunks will also dig for food.
Depending on where you live, viper's solution is probably the most effective.
mark sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:24 AM   #8
Retired Handyman/Painter

Rewards Points: 1,258

run-of-the-mill MOLES
Attached Images

Johnny_inFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:13 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,816

You said there are no tunnels so you don't think you have moles, yet you also say the lawn is lumpy.

I'll go with moles as well. I have moles, have had for a couple of years now, and I find those strange holes at times. My theory is that they are some kind of air circulation holes.

We tend to not see the tunnels in the dead of Summer, because when the weather is hot moles work deeper. Now that Summer has ended here, I am seeing the tunnels again, because they are digging much more shallow. Long term, the tunnels collapse and you end up with lumpy lawn.
ChuckF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:51 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 584

12 and 16 inches deep, straight down ? Strange. Find a long screwdriver or thin piece of rebar and start polking and following the bumps. What do you find ?
Cedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 12:34 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,144

I know moles and gophers well. Was taught very young how to kill gophers but moles are certainly different. Moles will have a dwelling tunnel network and a feeding network. Feeding tunnels are the surface tunnels, but they do bore deep tunnels for living. I have killing no less than 100 of them. The best way imo is a lawn chair and a 12 pack (no a 6 pack won't do). You walk in all the surface tunnels you can find and determine where they are active. Then simply watch for them. Look like a mouse under the carpet and you can actually hear them breaking roots off. Once you see one, use a SHOVEL to pop the plug out where they are and chop them. Believe it or not, you can miss with a screwdriver but if you do use that method, use a straight blade. It will go through them, then hang up inside them and usually pull them out of the ground. I have missed before. The shovel never misses.

They can get back in the ground extremely quick so as soon as you see their worthless furry ass, kill em. They like to find the edge of something and follow it. Sidewalks, houses, etc.

Gophers will leave a mound and are very seismic sensitive so you won't sneak up on them. I use an old shcool piercing trap. You don't have them so I won't go into that.
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:46 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 584

If they are moles....per the above, put a square shovel behind the moving mound and another ahead of the moving mound. Now dig down and remove said mole and transport to your Mother-In-Laws yard.
Cedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement