Is DG A Practical Alternative To Grass - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By rjniles

Old 02-23-2018, 05:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 160

Is DG a practical alternative to grass

Hi everyone, my backyard is currently just dirt, flat and ugly dirt. With the occasional weed popping out. I like to think of it as a clean slate .

Anyways, my wife and I want to make this space a beautiful, enjoyable place to spend out time and have guests. We love the look of grass but dont love the cost associated with keeping it green (we live in Southern California). My first thought was DG but im still unsure how practical it is. This is the look we would be going for:

https://imgur.com/a/3oqXK

Does anyone have any input on how it holds up over the years or if its going to make my house a mess and scratch up my floors?

Or just general input or information I should know before taking on a big project like this?

Also, that example above is basically the exact dimension of our yard and would love that same look. Does anyone have any idea how much something like this would run us if we needed to hire labor for certain jobs?

Sorry for all the questions, and thank you in advance.
mathbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2018, 10:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 818

Re: Is DG a practical alternative to grass

I can tell you right now that what's shown in that picture is surely not DG. It may have a base underneath that is DG but the surface looks to be some type of coarse sand. Doing your guard like that is certainly a good alternative especially because of the severe water restrictions in most of California. It's not quite as easy as you think to put in something like that however. You need to put down landscape cloth, then DG or something similar. You then need to compact that probably with a plate vibrator and then add the sand on top of it. The sand should also be compacted and then smooth graded with a rake.

It's also going to require routine maintenance. Weeds etc. will still grow in materials like this (they will grow anyplace) so you will have to remove them and regrade the surface on a regular basis.
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2018, 05:52 AM   #3
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 636

I am curious, what is DG?

Sent from my RCT6213W22 using Tapatalk
de-nagorg and Otto W like this.

rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2018, 07:50 AM   #4
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

I used to have a client who ran a day care center, in her house. She had arificial turf, in the back yard. Home Depot has 2 grades. Buy the better grade, if you go that route.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:57 AM   #5
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,986

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
I am curious, what is DG?

Sent from my RCT6213W22 using Tapatalk
It took me a few minutes to recall, but I believe DG is Decomposed Granite.

An alternate yard cover.

ED
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to de-nagorg For This Useful Post:
Otto W (02-28-2018)
Old 02-24-2018, 08:02 AM   #6
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Other choices are blue stone & #8 gravel but I would go with the artificial turf as I mentioned before.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:54 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 576

How many square feet for this project ? A good grade artificial turf is VERY expensive, parts and labor. We have DG in front and back of our casa. We paid $5 a ton which works out to 3/4 cubic yard. Labor extra. Looks good. You might need edging. A roller filled with water works as good as a vibrator plate. We put down 3+ inches with no landscape cloth. (Did see many holes in new DG....it was worms coming to the surface for air. Had to kill them all...) Hardly any weeds.
Cedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement