Deck Post Removal - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-08-2015, 02:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 620
Send a message via AIM to l008com

Deck Post Removal

I could explain what I'm trying to do, but this picture sums it up perfectly:

http://i.imgur.com/FWeMY4w.jpg

These aren't deck posts, they are from a handicapped ramp from the previous home owner. Nearly all of the cement footings are in holes cut through the driveway or walkway around back. So digging isn't really an option. Plus I'd like to not do any more damage to the driveway. Some day I'll get a new one, but probably not any time soon. As you can see in the photo, only one post is fully freed from structure at this point. And I am able to wiggle it around quite a bit. So I've googled around at various fence post pullers, some seemed like they might work. Others not so much. My favorite was a little A frame this guy welded up that let him pull posts straight up using a tow strap on his truck. That would be my preferred method. But Im' not going nuts here. This is a one time deal and there's only so many posts I need to remove. I've looked at the local tool rental place (sunbelt) but they don't seem to have anything that would help.

Part 2:

Once I get the posts cleanly out of the holes, what's the best way to fill the holes?
If they were in the dirt, i'd just fill em, tamp em, top them off if they settled, and that's that. But being in the driveway makes it a little trickier. I can get asphalt by the bag to patch the driveway, but I don't want the holes to settle after that. Should I just fill each hole with dry sand so there is no settling, then top off with asphalt to make it look as nice as possible? Or should I do something completely different?
l008com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2015, 03:50 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,480

Quote:
Originally Posted by l008com View Post
I could explain what I'm trying to do, but this picture sums it up perfectly:

http://i.imgur.com/FWeMY4w.jpg

These aren't deck posts, they are from a handicapped ramp from the previous home owner. Nearly all of the cement footings are in holes cut through the driveway or walkway around back. So digging isn't really an option. Plus I'd like to not do any more damage to the driveway. Some day I'll get a new one, but probably not any time soon. As you can see in the photo, only one post is fully freed from structure at this point. And I am able to wiggle it around quite a bit. So I've googled around at various fence post pullers, some seemed like they might work. Others not so much. My favorite was a little A frame this guy welded up that let him pull posts straight up using a tow strap on his truck. That would be my preferred method. But Im' not going nuts here. This is a one time deal and there's only so many posts I need to remove. I've looked at the local tool rental place (sunbelt) but they don't seem to have anything that would help.

Part 2:

Once I get the posts cleanly out of the holes, what's the best way to fill the holes?
If they were in the dirt, i'd just fill em, tamp em, top them off if they settled, and that's that. But being in the driveway makes it a little trickier. I can get asphalt by the bag to patch the driveway, but I don't want the holes to settle after that. Should I just fill each hole with dry sand so there is no settling, then top off with asphalt to make it look as nice as possible? Or should I do something completely different?
Jack them out with 2 bumper jacks, floor jacks, scissor jacks or hydraulic port-a-powers after nailing/bolting a couple of 2x4s across them. Fill the holes with dirt and compact with a tamper in 6" lifts then asphalt to whatever thickness deeded.

Last edited by SeniorSitizen; 06-08-2015 at 03:55 AM.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeniorSitizen For This Useful Post:
ron45 (06-08-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2015, 05:05 AM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,340

Ayuh,.... Fill the holes with crushed stone, 'n compact it as ya do,... not dirt,...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2015, 07:34 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,.... Fill the holes with crushed stone, 'n compact it as ya do,... not dirt,...
Have you ever seen the highway department compact crushed stone when building a road? Probably not and there is a reason they don't.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:36 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 4,404

As SeniorSitizen said, jack it.

Then chisel jack the concrete just below the surface and fill with whatever your using for finished surface.

Forgot the important part..

One of these works well even with a 4 gallon compressor, just put the chisel in and go. makes really fast work of it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/Medium-...mer-69866.html

Last edited by ron45; 06-08-2015 at 09:42 AM.
ron45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:00 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 996

an engine hoist would work, and be real easy to use. the only problem = if the post pulls out of the cement, and it could.

or. get a STRONG bar. drill hole in the post at the case. insert bar, one end on blocking. the other end on some kind of jack.

or, a sledge hammer.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement