Dealing With Excess Rain Water - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Drachenfire
  • 1 Post By Bondo
  • 3 Post By lenaitch

Old 07-26-2017, 09:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,052

Dealing with excess rain water

My neighbor tore his house down and rebuilt. Now all the water from his front yard drains over to my yard, picks up mulch and dumps it on my garden on its way to a lake in the backyard.

Ground is about 8' of trucked in dirt over shale.

I realize the neighbor is legally responsible for dealing with his water; but that's not going to happen, so moving on...

I have had three proposals for dealing with it; all about the same price.

1) Burying a perforated pipe on the low spot and draining to the lake. Covering the pipe with cobbles.

2) installing 3 drain boxes and running them to an existing downspout drain that goes to the lake.

3) Excavating the low spot and filling it with rocks. At the end of the line of rocks, digging a large drywell. Drywell would start about 15' above lake level.

Guy two says the DEC would never allow a new drain to the lake, but an existing drain is grandfathered. Neighbor was required to run his downspouts to a drywell rather than running them to the lake; FWIW. He also doesn't like perforated pipe as it will clog up. (He feels certain the existing drain would have plenty of capacity to handle the ground water as well as the roof water; I am not so sure)

Guy three doubts using the existing drain for a new purpose would be acceptable; hence the drywell.

Any thoughts on these three proposals would be much appreciated.

We have had several rains of 3" in an hour this year; neighbor across the street says there has only been one such rain in the 15 years he has lived there; but it seems to be trend that has to be dealt with.

Last edited by Toller; 07-26-2017 at 10:04 AM.
Toller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2017, 10:24 AM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 20,676

Re: Dealing with excess rain water

For the same money I would go with the dry well and have it closer to the lake.
Sooner or later you will have to deal with that pipe too. If you have the dry well that will not be hard.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2017, 12:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 342

I would rip your house down, rebuild, and throw the water back over to him.

Now that I got that out of my system, I would look at the grading plan he filed with his permit . Something has to be amiss. If you don't think the neighbor will work with you for a joint solution, then I would do what Neal recommends
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2017, 12:50 PM   #4
Big Dog

Rewards Points: 4,002

I had a similar drainage problem whereby heavy rains would cause water to collect at a downstairs sliding glass door and would flood the living room were it not for the sump system I jerry-rigged to move the water around the house. My fear was a power outage during one of those storms.

I had a landscaper come in to address the issue.

He dug a trench from the high corner of the house across the door just beyond the patio, around the other end of the house and down to the low corner of the property. In the trench, he laid in a sleeve covered 4” pipe. At the high corner he connected it to the down spout. Across the door he installed two 12” catch boxes connected in series with the pipe. On the low side he connected the second down spout. At the end he installed a pop-up diverter.

When it rains, water that would normally collect at the door goes down the catch boxes. The water runoff from the down spouts not only keeps excess water out of the backyard, it also helps flush the pipe.
Drachenfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:59 PM   #5
retired framer

Rewards Points: 20,676

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drachenfire View Post
I had a similar drainage problem whereby heavy rains would cause water to collect at a downstairs sliding glass door and would flood the living room were it not for the sump system I jerry-rigged to move the water around the house. My fear was a power outage during one of those storms.

I had a landscaper come in to address the issue.

He dug a trench from the high corner of the house across the door just beyond the patio, around the other end of the house and down to the low corner of the property. In the trench, he laid in a sleeve covered 4 pipe. At the high corner he connected it to the down spout. Across the door he installed two 12 catch boxes connected in series with the pipe. On the low side he connected the second down spout. At the end he installed a pop-up diverter.

When it rains, water that would normally collect at the door goes down the catch boxes. The water runoff from the down spouts not only keeps excess water out of the backyard, it also helps flush the pipe.
Next time don't let them use pipe with a sock what you want is gravel to allow the water to run in and fabric to protect the grave from being filled with mud. The pipe is just s whole in the gravel for water to run thru.

If they use a sock instead of fabric over gravel the mud fills the gravel and the sock so it needs to be redone much sooner.

It is a make work program.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:07 PM   #6
Big Dog

Rewards Points: 4,002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Next time don't let them use pipe with a sock what you want is gravel to allow the water to run in and fabric to protect the grave from being filled with mud. The pipe is just s whole in the gravel for water to run thru.

If they use a sock instead of fabric over gravel the mud fills the gravel and the sock so it needs to be redone much sooner.

It is a make work program.
Well, it was installed some four years ago and so far no issues.
Nealtw likes this.
Drachenfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:26 PM   #7
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,344

Quote:
1) Burying a perforated pipe on the low spot and draining to the lake. Covering the pipe with cobbles.
Ayuh,..... What sorta terrain is 'tween the low spot, 'n the lake shore,..??

Docks,..?? patio,..?? clear space,..??

If clear space,....
Just cut a slight swale, 'n let it flow, naturally back into the lake,....
lenaitch likes this.
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:29 PM   #8
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,210

If it is clear ground, I like Bondo's idea of a swale. A shallow, grassed linear depression leading to the lake should re-direct the water.

Assuming your municipality has enforceable building and property standards, if your neighbour was required to have an approved site plan which should have addressed surface water management, then it should be up to the municipality to enforce it - with or without your neighbour's cooperation.
Bondo, Msradell and Nealtw like this.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:37 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,052

There is a swale there now; the water sweeps all the mulch from the swale and dumps it in the garden, which is down hill of the swale. So it ruins the land around the swale, and the garden.

I want to intercept the water in the swale (by means of a perforated pipe, drain boxes, or rocks) and keep it away from the garden (by neans of a perforated pipe pouring into the lake, a drywell, or a pipe into the existing downspount drain).
Toller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:51 PM   #10
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,344

Ayuh,.... Can ya move the swale, or pitch it Around the garden to the lake,....

If ya use any sorta Pipes, ya fall under codes 'bout water discharge,....
If the water just runs into the lake,... No codes involved,...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement