Creeping Charlie - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-25-2013, 08:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,046

creeping charlie

what are some ways to get rid of it ? i know i could just google. but i do know that there is misinformation out there. and i don't want to spend money and get no results.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2013, 09:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 510

I have used Ortho Weed-B-Gone with good results. Might take several applications about 2 months apart if you have a bad infestation.
chitownken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2013, 09:56 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Goodluck with getting rid of it. Im in NJ and it runs rampid here. I also used ortho weed bgon max and the only way to really get rid of it is pull as much as u can by hand and treat the entire area. I tried to just spay it on the location with the ivy but didnt work well. It showed up in other areas. Breaking the vine open will help get rid of it because the weed b gone can attack its enzymes better. Be sure to use a pre emergent very early spring and again at the recomeneded time to control it the next year. Also once it starts it has to run its course. Creeping charlie is very very hardy and drought tolerant. Sobbe patient and dont expext results immediatly. It will not harm your lawn like crabgrass. In Ireland and the mid west manybhave creeping charlie lawns. Its actually a very good looking ivy. It will co exist just like clovers do. So no harm to the lawn just asthetic. Good luck.
valcarmo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2013, 08:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownken View Post
I have used Ortho Weed-B-Gone with good results. Might take several applications about 2 months apart if you have a bad infestation.
since you are close to me, i will try that.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by valcarmo72 View Post
Goodluck with getting rid of it. Im in NJ and it runs rampid here. I also used ortho weed bgon max and the only way to really get rid of it is pull as much as u can by hand and treat the entire area. I tried to just spay it on the location with the ivy but didnt work well. It showed up in other areas. Breaking the vine open will help get rid of it because the weed b gone can attack its enzymes better. Be sure to use a pre emergent very early spring and again at the recomeneded time to control it the next year. Also once it starts it has to run its course. Creeping charlie is very very hardy and drought tolerant. Sobbe patient and dont expext results immediatly. It will not harm your lawn like crabgrass. In Ireland and the mid west manybhave creeping charlie lawns. Its actually a very good looking ivy. It will co exist just like clovers do. So no harm to the lawn just asthetic. Good luck.
yeah, i know.

i am not in a hurry. but i would like to get started, so it at least doesn't get any worse. some day i am going to try for a very nice lawn. but i don't have the time right now.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:29 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 29

Stein's garden center by us sells a weed treatment you attach to a garden hose and it kills creeping charlie. I used it last year and within a week it was gone. It is a little pricey at 18 bucks a bottle but it worked great,I need to buy more since none of my neighbors treat their lawn but it is good stuff.
jsmith929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:04 AM   #7

i don't know of a stein's around here.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:38 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 75

Jsmith is right the weed be gone max that goes on the garden hose is what is better to treat the whole are. Many local garden centers might have a better no name product that works well for your zone and soil type.
valcarmo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:51 PM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

You can find a boron formula online that works well on creeping charlie. However, it is banned for such use in many states because people mixed it too strong and rendered soil sterile.

Non-selective weed (Round-up) and brush killers will work to a point. As mentioned, whatever you pick, expect to make several applications.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:01 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 24

If you need to reseed your a non-selective killer such with only glysophate as an active ingredient works. If you do not want to seed your yard then try to find something that contains the active ingredient dicamba such as Trimec or Mec-Amine works best. Apply this in the fall. Being in Chicago mid-September works best. The creeping charlie takes it down into the roots and rhizomes and kill them as it takes in nutrients to overwinter. This also is the best time to kill dandelions for the same reason.
MNewquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:26 AM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Here are a couple suggestions from the UofI Extension office. Sadly the link for further reading did not work.

http://web.extension.illinois.edu/as...2&AskSiteID=75

Last edited by user1007; 07-28-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:14 PM   #12

Quote:
ok. i bought some of this, the kind with the crappy sprayers
so, how do i go about applying this stuff ?
Old 08-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #13

Just follow the instructions on the container. Hook it up to the hose and soak down the area with the creeping charlie. I used pump sprayer with the WBG concentrate, but I had 3/4 acre to clear out. Hit it now and hit it again in early to mid October.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:02 PM   #14
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Just follow the instructions on the container. Hook it up to the hose and soak down the area with the creeping charlie. I used pump sprayer with the WBG concentrate, but I had 3/4 acre to clear out. Hit it now and hit it again in early to mid October.
I forget the instructions but be mindful of when after and before rain to apply. Where gloves if you have some handy or wash up soon after spraying. At least a dust mask is not a bad idea with anything airborne that kills something?
Old 08-08-2013, 09:10 PM   #15

Yeah, and keep the kids and pets away from the area until the next day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement