Crabgrass Problem - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By stick\shift

Old 09-25-2017, 11:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Crabgrass Problem

I live in So Cal and used to have a beautiful fescue lawn. Crabgrass and my lack of attention to it has made my lawn need repair. I plan to go by hand and rake this week and pull the crabgrass one by one. Once done what is the best way to patch the holes I leave? Hole patch for lawns or seed and fertilizer? I would say it's now 50/50 crabgrass to lawn.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
steve.rochin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2017, 11:51 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,251

Re: Crabgrass Problem

Not sure how much square footage you have but 50% would be kill and start over if it was me.

What some do around the southeast is in the fall when it's cooler out, aerate and seed with fescue. The seed will get into the holes making for better germination.

I don't grow fescue in the SE because it's too hot and dry here. I grow zenith zoysia. Some don't like it because it turns golden after the first hard freeze (mid November) and stays that way for about 3 months before starting to green up toward the end of February.

You're always going to have crabgrass. The best thing you can do is stop it from growing in the first place. This usually takes a couple applications per year of pre-emergent.

If you want to seed fescue, you'll need to apply a selective pre-emergent that only targets crabgrass, otherwise, you'll need to get the fescue growing good the first season them always apply pre-emergent the following season.
KHouse75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2017, 09:14 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,170

Re: Crabgrass Problem

Rule of thumb is 50% or more weeds or undesired grasses and the best bet is to kill it all and start over, as KHouse said.

I wouldn't bother with the crabgrass right now unless your plan is to kill everything. Crabgrass dies in the fall and regrows from seed in the spring so it's best addressed with pre-emergent herbicide in the spring.

A soil test is not a bad place to start.
nutshellml likes this.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement