Cordless (electric) Weed Trimmers -- Opinions? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By SPS-1
  • 1 Post By SPS-1

Old 09-03-2019, 04:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 332

Cordless (electric) weed trimmers -- opinions?

Greetings,

I am going to need a new weed trimmer (a.k.a. string-trimmer, a.k.a. "weed-wacker")....and I find myself considering some of the new cordless options.

My house is on a typical-sized 8,000 s.f. lot, with a front yard and a back yard. I don't have a lawn -- just various ground covers, patios areas, and dirt with weeds. I currently have a plug-in (corded) week-wacker, but I typically exhaust a 10-dollar roll of trimmer string about every time I use it. I would like to use a more-aggressive cutting head (like the Shakespear "Ugly," or the "Badger-head") but my electric corded unit will not accommodate one of those heads. I also think my current corded trimmer is on its last legs (motor gets really hot). I may need something more robust.

I recently looked at 80-Volt Kobalt (brand) and 60-Volt Greenworks (brand) cordless electric trimmers....both looked like they might have enough *umph* to do a yard with a full battery charge. I am not entirely opposed to gas-powered trimmer, but the gas engine just adds a lot more complexity and maintenance.

I am wondering if one of these higher-powered electric trimmers might be the way for me to go?

Informed opinions are much appreciated.
Paultergeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2019, 06:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 96

Re: Cordless (electric) weed trimmers -- opinions?

Working with our 2nd Kobalt 40v. First one quit under warranty, which Lowe's honored. They will do light trimming. We have average sized house on acreage and when I have just a touch up to do I grab the trimmer. Also have the saw, the hedge clipper and the blower. Use the blower most then the string trimmer, the hedge clippers, have yet to use the saw.
Since ours span 2-3 years I can say that the first battery is not holding a charge as long as the last one.
For heavier jobs, along the pasture fence or the storm drain or if I'm ambitious enough to do all the fence in one go I use a Husky 2 cycle. YRMV of course.
ChuckTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2019, 06:52 PM   #3

Forgot to add, bought the first 40v when my back started to complain about supporting a gas trimmer. Then we moved. This house a little smaller than before but half acre more.
Also ehen first 40v quit wifie complained that she didn't have a trimmer she could handle. Never does much trimming but what does that matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2019, 06:54 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,200

The Battery powered weed whackers have come a long way. You mentioned two excellent choices. Keep doing your research on different products so you can make an informed decision before purchasing.

Check out the stihl and huskavarna lines as well. I own both and love them both equally. I didn't think I was going to like them, being a gas powered man all my life. For an average homeowner (like me) who is going to use it once a week or so it's great. If you are a professional landscaper and do landscaping for a living I wouldn't recommend battery operated. Just my opinion only.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:11 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 17,914

Just my own personal option from someone that mows and trims at least 35 yards a week.
I own 3 Stihl FS90R's and and one new FS100R.
All start on the first or second pull, even at the start of the season if there allowed to run until they run out of gas when storing.
With the .90 sting I only have to replace it about once a week.
Most often I'm not getting paid by the job so my trimming has to be done fast, this will do it!
I can also use a hedge trimmer, edger, roto tiller, edge definer, chain saw, Ect. on the same unit .
Stihl only sells through dealers so you can get it repaired where you bought it.
Also buy a 6 pack of synthetic oil when you buy it and they will double the warranty.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:23 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 6,644

I have 40V Yardworks trimmer and lawnmower. Can't see me ever buying
anything but battery operated yard equipment in the future.
CodeMatters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:30 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 7,606

The correct measure of the capacity of a battery is Amp-Hours (Ah). Other units are sometimes used, but they can be converted to compare. This will tell you which one will run the longest. Voltage is not a measure of how much energy is stored in the battery. There are some efficiency/weight/cost advantages with a higher voltage, but battery capacity is the most important. Don't forget that an option is to buy one or more spare batteries.

No more gas string trimmers for me. It would pick the hottest days of the year to decide to have starting problems. I would be soaked in sweat just starting it. Battery is it.

Some string trimmers have a feature to pivot the head 90 degrees to do edging. That is actually a surprisingly useful feature.

CodeMatters likes this.

Last edited by SPS-1; 09-03-2019 at 08:53 PM.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:42 PM   #8
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,224

No views on battery trimmers, but if you are going through line that fast, you must be up against rocks, landscaping stone, etc. If you current machine will accommodate it, I would try a heavier line. When we had the farm I was going through .060 line like crazy working around the stone barn foundation, culverts, fence wire, etc. so upgraded to (I think) .080 or .090. The one downside is it is really tough on any vegetation you do hit inadvertently. Fixed cutter heads may not like striking hard surfaces.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:01 AM   #9
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 4,328

Quote:
you must be up against rocks
Bought wifey a Ryobi 18v trimmer and she is happy as a dead pig in the sunshine.
The problem with Ryobi is every time you release the trigger, the string advances, and THAT causes a loss of line quickly. I adapted hers to solid "finger" type cutters and she can go on forever with her light trimming. I say "light", because that's all she does in her garden spots, etc. It runs a long time on one battery, and She always has one charging.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:52 AM   #10

While run capacity is a function of the battery amp/hour size the machines are marketed as nn volts so to ID which I am talking about 40V will do. Sidebar - looked at the 80v models, just looking made my back ache.
And Ryobi I distrust after I found that they and B&D used nylon gearing, strictly lite, lite duty in my opinion.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:33 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 342

For the use you described, there are a lot of trimmers out there. I think the best bang for the buck is this trimmer:

https://www.stringtrimmersdirect.com...SABEgIwQfD_BwE

Shindaiwa is rebranding their equipment and $119 for a 56v trimmer is a great deal IMO. I bought the 24" hedge trimmer and am impressed with the quality and battery life.

If you do get the gas string trimmer, JoeC hit the nail on the head.

Last edited by ZTMAN; 09-04-2019 at 06:39 AM.
ZTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler48 View Post
The problem with Ryobi is every time you release the trigger, the string advances, and THAT causes a loss of line quickly.
Really? I find I frequently have to just stand there and keep hitting the trigger just to get it to advance. My hypothesis is that when the string is very short, it doesn't have much inertia and has a hard time pulling out the string, even if the catch is released. Suppose it beats banging my trimmer on the ground though.
chandler48 likes this.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:11 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 332

All,

I am so often surprised by the wealth of knowledge and experience which is to be found on this forum. Thank you all for your insightful replies.

I especially appreciate the comments regarding Amp-hours (Ah). I was distracted by the "higher-volts-is-better" logic, but a car battery is only 12 volts (but with hundreds of amps), so voltage is only part of the equation. Actually -- now that I think about it -- watts per unit of time would probably be an even better measurement of power, but I'll have to evaluate based on the industry standards.

I confess I had not really considered Stihl or Husquavarna......but I am willing to pay for quality. I will check those out.

I also appreciate the comments regarding the gas-powered trimmers, but they do require a bit more maintenance and storage of fuel, etc. For my own needs (just one house on a lot), I think I might be better-served by going electric. Besides, I want my wife to feel comfortable using it as well, and I don't think she will want to use a gas-powered trimmer.

Thanks again to everyone.
Paultergeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
Actually -- now that I think about it -- watts per unit of time would probably be an even better measurement of power,e.
I checked my Ryobi, it's label says 57.7 Wh. But if I remember my Ohm's Law correctly, that would be 2.4 Ah --- (57.7 W/24 V). Amp hours spec seems to be more common.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:48 AM   #15

I have just under an acre of land, a lot of it being "natural area" (that's the nice term for weeds). I just bought the 20v dewalt brushless trimmer with 5ah battery about 2 weeks ago. We've done different areas of our yard multiple times, at about 30-40 minutes per usage, without any battery issues while running on the low setting.
I looked at a lot of the other options out there, and almost bought into the 60v or 80v hype, but chose the Dewalt 20v due to the fact I can exchange batteries with my other 20v Dewalt tools if I'm ever running low for whatever reason.

After initial hesitation to buying a battery powered string trimmer, I'd say I'm completely sold on the Dewalt so far, and would recommend it without pause.
Brian Famous is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement