Convert Manual Sprinkler Valve To Battery? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2013, 10:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Convert Manual Sprinkler Valve to Battery?

Hello! So I recently replaced a couple sprinkler valves in my yard, not thinking I would want them to be automated yet.

I installed 2 of these from Lowes.

Now that I'm doing some more landscaping down in the area where these valves are located, I'm wishing I could automate the valves. I know about this converter valve part but the location is rather far away from any electrical so I'm looking for something similar that runs off batteries.

The only thing I've come across is a couple different units here, but at $66 and $94 dollars, they seem really expensive.

Does anybody have any more thoughts on this? Thanks in advance.

-seth
dezandseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2013, 09:25 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 234

Irrigation valves run on low voltage. Running the wires from a control box to the valves isn't a big deal. IMO if you want automation, convert the valves to electric and install a controller.
djlandkpl is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2013, 10:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlandkpl
Irrigation valves run on low voltage. Running the wires from a control box to the valves isn't a big deal. IMO if you want automation, convert the valves to electric and install a controller.

I know it's not a big deal. The problem is that there's no electrical anywhere near these 2 new valves, which is why I'm looking for a battery option. Was that not made clear in my original post?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2013, 10:31 AM   #4

The controller/timer is placed near a 120v source like a garage or basement. The low voltage lines are run from the controller to the valves.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlandkpl
The controller/timer is placed near a 120v source like a garage or basement. The low voltage lines are run from the controller to the valves.
Yes I know how it works. I've installed a complete automated sprinkler system on another part of my property. The new area i want to automate is far away from any electrical. furthermore, i would have to run wire under a very wide portion of my driveway to get anywhere close to the electrical on my property. Are you not reading my posts?
Old 03-10-2013, 10:54 AM   #6

Based on the details you provided, a conventional system is the best option. You left out the part about a driveway. There's a big difference between an electrical source and the low voltage needed to run the valves. You can do what you want with battery/wireless valves, just be prepared to pay for it. I'm all done here.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezandseth
......the location is rather far away from any electrical so I'm looking for something similar that runs off batteries.......
I don't think it gets any clearer than this, so the part about the driveway is irrelevant.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:31 AM   #8
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 17,888

Your problem is that the coils in the sprinkler valve are 24Vac.....not DC....you need to convert the battery voltage to AC.....hence, why those solar heads you noted are so expensive.

I just don't see a cheap solution.....for $66, you can run a lot of PVC conduit....or just direct bury the cable...

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:22 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,042

It would be cost prohibitive to do it the way you describe, just install an electric valve close to your electrical source and run pvc pipe to the sprinkler heads,that will be the cheapest way.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/1001973...371&ci_gpa=pla
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement