Clear Obstruction In Valve W/o Taking Apart - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-10-2015, 08:38 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 284
Question

clear obstruction in valve w/o taking apart

Soooo, got this valve stuck on but it's buried somewhere in a half-acre area. I've been looking for it for months to no avail (like Vern looking for his jar of pennies in the movie Stand By Me---I don't know whether to laugh or cry!) I have to shut it off from the PVB all the time and would rather not have to do that. Is there another way to clear the diaphragm that doesn't involve actually touching the valve? Say for instance via water pressure (i'm not sure how, but it sounds good). Or jedi mind tricks...
JustScrewIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2015, 09:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 18,974

No one know what type valve your talking about, or what it does.
What do mean by "clear the valve"?
Why not just add a new valve?
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2015, 11:05 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 284

Sorry, the valve that I'm talking about is an irrigation valve. No clue if it's a Hunter, Rain Bird, Toro, Orbit, or some other brand, as I am not the original installer. All I know is that I was able to find two valves that operate zones 1 and 2, and those work fine (most the time). But zone 3, which is operated by the phantom valve I can't seem to find, will "weep" constantly until I shut-off the dedicated landscape water supply line via the PVB. This seems consistent with a debris-in-the-diaphragm scenario, but maybe not. I'm open to hearing other speculation as to what the cause is.

I could add a new valve, but that would require trenching and running a couple hundred feet of pvc from the dedicated irrigation water supply line (which is in the backyard) to the zone in question (in the front yard), and I'm hoping it won't come down to that... Primarily because at least half the line runs under large slabs of concrete... (go figure). The only other solution I can think of is just installing an inline-valve right there at the zone and hooking it to up its own battery operated timer. And while I'm not opposed to doing this, I'd like to weigh the options, if there are any...

Now that I think about it, one thing I believe I haven't tried is turning the valve ON and then OFF at the timer and repeating that several times. The theory being that the obstruction will get knocked loose at some point and continue downstream, where it will get clogged in a sprinkler head which is much simpler to locate. Although, could it perhaps be a faulty solenoid instead? Is it possible for the solenoid to quit half-way through closing (or opening) the valve? I checked resistance and voltage of all the zones at the timer and everything checks out, although the voltage fluctuates slightly among different valves, but nothing significant to indicate a bad wire. Is it possible that the wire isn't transferring enough voltage to the solenoid to get it to close all the way? I did notice the common wire where the other 2 valves connect is showing some corrosion and wear (green discoloration of wires beneath the sleeve), but the valves still function normally with it.

Sorry for the barrage of questions. I'm just sorta brainstorming here. Any insight is greatly appreciated. Oh ya, and I'm located in Northern CA.

Last edited by JustScrewIt; 06-10-2015 at 11:24 PM.
JustScrewIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
diaphragm , irrigation , repair , stuck , valve