Cheapest And Easiest Approach For Removal Of Old Lawn And To Seed For New - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Nik333

Old 06-30-2018, 12:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 262

Cheapest and easiest approach for removal of old lawn and to seed for new

I probably shouldn't even bring up the reason for why it must be so cheap and so easy, but if I don't I would feel bad to all of you because you might waste time by trying to explain to me, it can't be done like this or that. I need the best cheapest and easiest solution ASAP.

I have lived in this rental for ten years. The day I moved in, I took a photo of the front lawn next to the neighbors front lawn. The lush perfect green vs the what the hell is that. The landlord is the owner and he will not hire anyone to do anything. He wants to be the gardner, jury, judge, and executioner. I don't want to turn this into a landlord bashing, but I have had it. What is worse, the neighbors have had it.

They must have had this planned or something, but the last time the landlord/gardner was here to mow the lawn using a weed wacker (what are those called?) Several neighbors walked over together and really complained about how sick they are of the yard. I of course am completely in agreement with them.

This is what has happened since that day back on May 5, 2018. Keep in mind, no one would call what is here a lawn, it is all sorts of different weeds, different heights, colors. A week or so after that time, the landlord told me to keep the front moist. I live in Southern California and as ridiculous as I find this to be, I will attempt to go along with this. So its water automatically every morning. Then it gets manually turned on several times a day. This goes on until about the beginning of June to where he calls and tells me no more watering and he will be out the next day. He brings Ortho Weed B Gone, the crabgrass specific one and attaches to hose and sprays the yard. He told me to wait a day and then go back to watering to keep lawn moist. Two weeks go by and the whole area is almost all brown, quite burnt looking. He shows up with one bag of Ammend and spreads this around the yard by hand. He said this will now soften the soil and make it ready to be seeded.

So as of right now, he is ready to seed. The old lawn/weeds which are pretty much dead looking will remain as is, the ammend has been spread oh so sparingly over the yard to soften and now seed will go on top. Is that going to make for a new beautiful green, weed free yard? Shouldn't this be done in much cooler climate?

I have read about a process where you don't do anything other than cover the old lawn with either fabric or plastic and give it as long as it takes, one month, or maybe several months. Anyway, after this amount of time you remove the fabric or plastic and you will supposedly have a rich soil which can now be leveled out and seeded. Am I understanding that correctly or no?

Correct me if I'm wrong, the Plastic Polyethylene Sheeting would smother and kill everything but would not enhance the soil in anyway?

Landscae fabric is more or less the approach you take when doing a vegetable garden, cut holes and put plants in?

So, if I were to get in the middle here of his way of doing this, how can I make this less of a headache for neighbors mainly, landlord second, and me last?
Jamesonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2018, 03:23 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,246

Re: Cheapest and easiest approach for removal of old lawn and to seed for new

GWhether it's too hot for seeds depends where you are - by the ocean, high desert, mountains, inland, etc. I would let the landlord try. Seed will grow & push out weeds. But, it would be better to rototill first.

It's 111 here, so no, seed wouldn't grow.
Nealtw likes this.
Nik333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2018, 04:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik333 View Post
GWhether it's too hot for seeds depends where you are - by the ocean, high desert, mountains, inland, etc. I would let the landlord try. Seed will grow & push out weeds. But, it would be better to rototill first.

It's 111 here, so no, seed wouldn't grow.

San Gabriel Valley.

The issue I have with letting the landlord try is that I feel I am wasting a ton of water and it's costing way too much on my end. To sum it up, the lease states front lawn, back lawn maintained by landlord. If it was maintained I wouldn't be here right now.

I have my own DIY projects I like to do and never seem to have time to be able to, but that's because I like doing those and not because I can't afford a new piece of furniture. It makes me feel good to see an old end table given a new life with a new look compared to buying something that probably won't be near the quality.

Where is the landlord is a DIY fool because he is so cheap. It's like the backyard, several years ago he had sod put in, said he spent over $5,000. Guess what though, only looks kind of nice where there is a ton of shade from the two ugliest hugest trees. Why? It's Kentucky bluegrass! The side of the yard which has no shade has been dead for years and I have had a couple of vegetable gardens here and there. It is the most unrewarding work I have ever attempted to do. It's like working with concrete soil. My theory is that when the sod was installed, the workers half ass leveled out the yard and pushed all debris, rocks, whatever to the one side and did not remove anything making for a nightmare. The rest of the yard is like quicksand from gophers and squirrels. Surprised no one has broken a leg yet.

The landlord is always saying, "wow, well it's a good thing those two trees are there."

I reply by saying, "yes, while that is true that the shade is definitely helping with that part of the lawn looking nice. It's just too bad you hired people that installed a lawn that is meant for year-round cool season."

I just want to put the front yard area to rest with no more maybes, or water wasting at my expense. Obviously, if it was my property I would invest in either doing everything by the book myself or hiring a professional. Since it is him and looks like the price of Ortho Weed B Gone is the budget, while water bill tripled or more for a "maybe" it will work all because he took a class at Home Depot!

I need to let my neighbors know something is in progress here. Since it really should not even be seeded until November. Really, why not wait until January or February. I am not going to be keeping this "moist" for that amount of time.

Please help me with the covering method. I want to win here. I like winning and being right. Plus, I think the neighbors would mind less if having to look at black fabric or plastic vs dead disgusting weeds.

Is there a part of this website where we can complain about people getting in the way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2018, 04:47 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 576

Back in June 2017 you started a thread about a water line leak from the street to your (or landlord's) house. What was the resolution and did you have to pay for the extra water usage ?

Sounds like you must pay the water bill for the upcoming seeding disaster that awaits. Right ? Is there a HOA involved ?

How many sq feet of lawn involved ? Can someone cover the seed with 1/4 inch of a good product to help keep the seed damp between waterings ?
Cedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 06:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedrus View Post
Back in June 2017 you started a thread about a water line leak from the street to your (or landlord's) house. What was the resolution and did you have to pay for the extra water usage ?

Sounds like you must pay the water bill for the upcoming seeding disaster that awaits. Right ? Is there a HOA involved ?

How many sq feet of lawn involved ? Can someone cover the seed with 1/4 inch of a good product to help keep the seed damp between waterings ?

I had to pay it, which I will never understand.

No HOA.

Using Google Earth as my way of measuring it looks to be about 40' x 40'
Old 06-30-2018, 06:44 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,042

Okay, here's the recipe, get started at the proper time.

https://www.thisoldhouse.com/how-to/how-to-seed-lawn
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 01:40 AM   #7

Looks like it's 105 next weekend . . . not a good time.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:16 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 4,163

Your landlord is an idiot. I feel your frustration, you're trying to do
the right thing, it's difficult dealing with an idiot.

Can you post a pic of the front lawn? Is it total weeds?

This is what we've been using for about four years now, it's a
wonderful organic fertilizer... Milorganite -slow-release-nitrogen
6-4-0 fertilizer...

It's unbelievable, and inexpensive as well.

The directions say to apply it 'four' times a
year. We only apply it 'two times' a year on the lawn.
On the shrubs and flower gardens, more frequently.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Milorgani...stomer-reviews

We do the first application late November or early December.
The lawn comes in in early Spring beautifully lush and deep green.
The second application we do in late June.

We're not landscapers, I'll leave it to the pro's to help guide you in
reference to killing the weeds and seeding etc...

I did want to share with you this marvelous fertilizer
though. It's also great on shrubs, and flowers.

It's not for use near or on vegetable gardens.

We're having trouble finding this product, everyone is out of it...
I'm going to look on Amazon next.
Two Knots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:46 PM   #9

@Two Knots , I don't remember what caused me to look up the SDS, maybe the fact it's mostly nitrogen. Your garden is gorgeous.

The fertilizer is activated Milwaukee sewer sludge. Someone's making a fortune.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:57 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 4,163

Nik, that's why I mentioned that it's not for use in or near
vegetable gardens.

I also I left out the part that it's smelly.

edit: I looked on Amazon yesterday, and it was very expensive.

We pay about 13.00 to 14.00 for a 2,500 sq ft coverage bag,
when we can find it.

When we first started using it a few years ago it was 9.99...

Last edited by Two Knots; 07-02-2018 at 07:18 AM.
Two Knots is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
landscape fabric , new lawn , seed , weed