Channel Vs French Drain - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Bud9051
  • 2 Post By DR P

Old 02-25-2018, 07:41 PM   #1

Channel vs French Drain

First post-Any advice is welcome

Iíve got a small backyard that floods, luckily no water getting into basement.

The reason is my neighbors yard that slopes directly into mine, as well as a drain of thereís that dumps water directly into my backyard.

My plan is to install a drain directly at our property line, which is also the bottom of their hill. Now do I go French or Channel?

My plan was to install approx 10 feet of channel drains, connect to pipe and run down our property line and end approx 6 feet before end of my property (water will run along sidewalk at front of house)

Would I benefit more from a French style drain, maybe a few catch basins and perforated pipe, or just a channel drain? Thanks !!!
Scaggsdrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2018, 09:01 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,800

Re: Channel vs French Drain

I would dig a continuous channel about a foot wide and about a foot deep along the property line (as opposed to using precast concrete sections) and fill the channel with coarse gravel (about 3/4 to one inch stones). And embed a perforated pipe down the middle as in a typical underground French drain.

That is, assuming that the grade is such that the water will still flow by itself (by gravity) all the way to the front.

If the ground level undulates then portions of your trench will have to be more than a foot deep. You want the water flow to be a continuous downhill.

The closer to the surface the whole thing is, the fewer problems you will have with getting a good downslope to the front.

Last edited by AllanJ; 02-27-2018 at 09:14 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2018, 09:14 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 6,136

First comment, which may have no application here, but the frequently used rule involved with surface water is your neighbor was not supposed to alter the flow of water onto your property.

Next, is your climate region, does the ground freeze? If the ground freezes then what ever you install underground may stop working and as a backup the landscaping should be contoured to handle surface water and direct it to where you want.

Bud
Bondo likes this.
Bud9051 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2018, 11:40 AM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,344

Quote:
Next, is your climate region, does the ground freeze? If the ground freezes then what ever you install underground may stop working and as a backup the landscaping should be contoured to handle surface water and direct it to where you want.
Ayuh,.... Which is why I always recommend surface drainage,...

Aka: a Swale,....

You can mow it, easily walk over it, 'n it requires no invest other than the labor to dig it,.....
No clogs, or maintenance either,....
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 11:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud9051 View Post
First comment, which may have no application here, but the frequently used rule involved with surface water is your neighbor was not supposed to alter the flow of water onto your property.

Bud
Re:Neighbor altering the flow

I think 25% of my problem is natural flow and just bad luck with my yard being at the end of their hill. But 75% is from there own drain. Unfortunately they installed it approx 10 years ago, first 7 years my home was vacant, then I purchased. My local township said they could not do anything about it
Scaggsdrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 01:42 PM   #6
Peace be with you

Rewards Points: 1,860

IMO the key is low to no maintenance & to prevent
overflows & or erosion in/past your drainage/ditch line...

catch basins & or piping could stop up,
grass lined swells have to be mowed but yet
are prone to muck, mire & or erosion,
concrete is costly yet permanent but plain ugly...

another option to consider is rip rapping the crucial part of swell
after eyeballing swell with level/transit...
then only real upkeep for years should be weed killer

I would not put anything underground unless it was over sized & over built
ruling out any type of French drain for diverting water coming off a hill...

Peace
Bondo and Bud9051 like this.
My comments towards your questions & concerns are based on my work history, knowledge, & past experiences; they are my opinions given freely in hopes they truly help/bless U. That said, if U don't consult with & or hire a licensed professional locally, then please don't blame me when You DIY... Bottom line - Safety 1st & Always; got that???
DR P is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement