Channel Drain Install In Landscaping - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-27-2017, 11:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 616

Channel Drain Install in landscaping

I have a yard that slopes towards the house and during heavy rain, causes water to pool on the walkway path up to the planter beds next to the house.

To provide a place for the water to go, I'm installing a 12 ft NDS Spee-d Channel Drain between the walkway pavers and the planter beds. The area around the drain is hard clay dirt and I will be installing Mexican beach pebble over the hard clay around the drain.

Pics of the install in progress below. I've staked the drain down to prevent floating. I'm going to be backfilling with dirt, then I have to try to find a more affordable grate. The NDS plastic grates are only 2 feet long and sell for $15.

So, the grates end up costing more than the channel. One 4 ft channel is $26.

Thoughts on install as well as where to find more affordable grates?

homeimproverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2017, 12:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 12

Re: Channel Drain Install in landscaping

I'd be curious to see how this turned out? I'm somewhat in the same situation, but i thought these channel drains were more used for installation when crossing concrete, like a driveway or sidewalk or something. obviously, i could be totally wrong, but did this work out for you?
Captain McFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2017, 06:28 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 616

Re: Channel Drain Install in landscaping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain McFunk View Post
I'd be curious to see how this turned out? I'm somewhat in the same situation, but i thought these channel drains were more used for installation when crossing concrete, like a driveway or sidewalk or something. obviously, i could be totally wrong, but did this work out for you?
They are mostly used with concrete backfill in front of garage entrances. However, the NDS installation guide says it can be backfilled with dirt if desired. So far it's working well. There is a 3/4 horizontal footer flange at the bottom that helps keep it anchored and prevents floating. I used anchor stakes also. Biggest concern is erosion of the soil around the top of the channel. I'm going to add some 89/10 gravel and sand before I lay pavers or decking over the top of this area for the walk path.

Last edited by homeimproverjoe; 06-02-2017 at 06:32 PM.
homeimproverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement