Cement Stamped Retaining Wall - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-09-2015, 02:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Cement Stamped Retaining Wall

I wanting to put in a retaining wall probably 40' long and 5' tall. basically I'm wanting to just frame in a wall with 2x4 studs and with 2x4 anchors, then cover the 2x4's with either 1/2" plywood or MDF" because I might be able to get those for free. Then I want to cover the wall in cement and stamp and stain it. I saw a how to website on how to this but they said you had to have pressure treated wood. I'm wondering if that's really necessary being that I'm going to sheet and cover it in cement, or if I can just use regular 2x4's.
shadow_amazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2015, 04:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,912

I just can not picture that idea ever working out!
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2015, 05:36 PM   #3
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

Are you talking about using shotcrete over the plywood, troweled on mortar, troweled on concrete, or something else entirely? Are you planning to install rebar or mesh in the concrete? If you are planning to retain five feet of soil behind the wall, you need to do some calculations to verify that the wall will not overturn or slide. These calculations are not simple, you may want to get some help from an engineer on this project, especially since many municipalities require a permit for a retaining wall over a given height, four feet in many cases, due to the danger of collapse.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
pressure treated wood