Cannot Find 5/8" Sprinkler Elbow Fittings - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SPS-1

Old 05-26-2018, 03:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 30

Cannot find 5/8" sprinkler elbow fittings

Hi All,
I moved into a house built in 1985. When fixing a broken sprinkler i noticed that the blue plastic L-shaped part that connects the sprinkler head to the pipe had broken (i think it's called the Riser fitting or Elbow Insert)

So i took it out to get a replacement, but i could not find the correct size anywhere. All stores (HD, Lowes, ace) carry 1/2" and 3/4" and 1" fittings, and none of these fit. After i measured the OD of the sprinkler pipe running underground, i found i needed a 5/8" fitting.

So what's the story? Have they stopped manufacturing 5/8" pipes and fittings for sprinkler systems? Any suggestions on where to get one?

HELP !!!

Last edited by st_group; 05-26-2018 at 03:18 PM.
st_group is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2018, 04:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,858

Re: Cannot find 5/8" sprinkler elbow fittings

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_group View Post
Hi All,
I moved into a house built in 1985. When fixing a broken sprinkler i noticed that the blue plastic L-shaped part that connects the sprinkler head to the pipe had broken (i think it's called the Riser fitting or Elbow Insert)

So i took it out to get a replacement, but i could not find the correct size anywhere. All stores (HD, Lowes, ace) carry 1/2" and 3/4" and 1" fittings, and none of these fit. After i measured the OD of the sprinkler pipe running underground, i found i needed a 5/8" fitting.

So what's the story? Have they stopped manufacturing 5/8" pipes and fittings for sprinkler systems? Any suggestions on where to get one?

HELP !!!

Reads a bit confusing to me but I'll try here....

If the o.d. of the pipe or tubing underground is 5/8" inch, then for a internal use barbed fitting as in the pic to fit in to it , then it will have to be a 1/2 ich o.d. barbed fitting. A 5/8" barbed fitting will not fit in a 1/2" inside diameter (5/8" O.D.) pipe/tubing.
st_group (06-10-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2018, 05:59 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 7,504

The poly-pipe used in sprinkler systems (at least the systems used around here) is not standard inside diameter. The barbed fittings you buy at HD plumbing department will not fit (too big, if memory serves me right). You need to find a landscape supply store that sells sprinkler supplies.
Gregsoldtruck79 likes this.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SPS-1 For This Useful Post:
st_group (06-10-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2018, 07:07 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 188

Look for "funny pipe". The ID is different and will fit the sprinkler head fittings.
st_group (06-10-2018)
Old 05-26-2018, 07:14 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 7,504

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlandkpl View Post
Look for "funny pipe". The ID is different and will fit the sprinkler head fittings.
"Funny Pipe" -- yeah that's what they called it. I was trying to remember what they called it, but the neurons just were not working tonight.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:30 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsoldtruck79 View Post
Reads a bit confusing to me but I'll try here....

If the o.d. of the pipe or tubing underground is 5/8" inch, then for a internal use barbed fitting as in the pic to fit in to it , then it will have to be a 1/2 ich o.d. barbed fitting. A 5/8" barbed fitting will not fit in a 1/2" inside diameter (5/8" O.D.) pipe/tubing.
Thanks everyone for your answers. I measured the inner diameter and it is indeed 1/2 inch. I guess i will get the 1/2" barbed fitting and try again. Earlier, I had taken a cutout of the pipe to the store before, and by eyeballing it, it did not seem that the 1/2" fitting would fit the pipe, but i guess i will try again.
st_group is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
elbow insert , fittings , riser , sprinkler