Cannot Find 5/8" Sprinkler Elbow Fittings - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SPS-1
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 05-26-2018, 03:14 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 15
Rewards Points: 30
Default

Cannot find 5/8" sprinkler elbow fittings


Hi All,
I moved into a house built in 1985. When fixing a broken sprinkler i noticed that the blue plastic L-shaped part that connects the sprinkler head to the pipe had broken (i think it's called the Riser fitting or Elbow Insert)

So i took it out to get a replacement, but i could not find the correct size anywhere. All stores (HD, Lowes, ace) carry 1/2" and 3/4" and 1" fittings, and none of these fit. After i measured the OD of the sprinkler pipe running underground, i found i needed a 5/8" fitting.

So what's the story? Have they stopped manufacturing 5/8" pipes and fittings for sprinkler systems? Any suggestions on where to get one?

HELP !!!

Last edited by st_group; 05-26-2018 at 03:18 PM.
st_group is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-26-2018, 04:46 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 3,915
Rewards Points: 1,858
Default

Re: Cannot find 5/8" sprinkler elbow fittings


Quote:
Originally Posted by st_group View Post
Hi All,
I moved into a house built in 1985. When fixing a broken sprinkler i noticed that the blue plastic L-shaped part that connects the sprinkler head to the pipe had broken (i think it's called the Riser fitting or Elbow Insert)

So i took it out to get a replacement, but i could not find the correct size anywhere. All stores (HD, Lowes, ace) carry 1/2" and 3/4" and 1" fittings, and none of these fit. After i measured the OD of the sprinkler pipe running underground, i found i needed a 5/8" fitting.

So what's the story? Have they stopped manufacturing 5/8" pipes and fittings for sprinkler systems? Any suggestions on where to get one?

HELP !!!

Reads a bit confusing to me but I'll try here....

If the o.d. of the pipe or tubing underground is 5/8" inch, then for a internal use barbed fitting as in the pic to fit in to it , then it will have to be a 1/2 ich o.d. barbed fitting. A 5/8" barbed fitting will not fit in a 1/2" inside diameter (5/8" O.D.) pipe/tubing.
__________________
...
Gregsoldtruck79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gregsoldtruck79 For This Useful Post:
st_group (06-10-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-26-2018, 05:59 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ontario
Posts: 4,292
Rewards Points: 7,504
Default

Re: Cannot find 5/8" sprinkler elbow fittings


The poly-pipe used in sprinkler systems (at least the systems used around here) is not standard inside diameter. The barbed fittings you buy at HD plumbing department will not fit (too big, if memory serves me right). You need to find a landscape supply store that sells sprinkler supplies.
Gregsoldtruck79 likes this.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SPS-1 For This Useful Post:
st_group (06-10-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-26-2018, 07:07 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Southeastern MA
Posts: 1,859
Rewards Points: 188
Default

Re: Cannot find 5/8" sprinkler elbow fittings


Look for "funny pipe". The ID is different and will fit the sprinkler head fittings.
__________________
Dan
djlandkpl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djlandkpl For This Useful Post:
st_group (06-10-2018)
Old 05-26-2018, 07:14 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ontario
Posts: 4,292
Rewards Points: 7,504
Default

Re: Cannot find 5/8" sprinkler elbow fittings


Quote:
Originally Posted by djlandkpl View Post
Look for "funny pipe". The ID is different and will fit the sprinkler head fittings.
"Funny Pipe" -- yeah that's what they called it. I was trying to remember what they called it, but the neurons just were not working tonight.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:30 PM   #6
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 15
Rewards Points: 30
Default

Re: Cannot find 5/8" sprinkler elbow fittings


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsoldtruck79 View Post
Reads a bit confusing to me but I'll try here....

If the o.d. of the pipe or tubing underground is 5/8" inch, then for a internal use barbed fitting as in the pic to fit in to it , then it will have to be a 1/2 ich o.d. barbed fitting. A 5/8" barbed fitting will not fit in a 1/2" inside diameter (5/8" O.D.) pipe/tubing.
Thanks everyone for your answers. I measured the inner diameter and it is indeed 1/2 inch. I guess i will get the 1/2" barbed fitting and try again. Earlier, I had taken a cutout of the pipe to the store before, and by eyeballing it, it did not seem that the 1/2" fitting would fit the pipe, but i guess i will try again.
st_group is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Tags
elbow insert , fittings , riser , sprinkler


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sprinkler system Italgrl Landscaping & Lawn Care 3 05-22-2014 10:39 PM
Sharkbite Fittings davidblackwoods Plumbing 55 06-14-2013 08:14 PM
Why can't I find a good thatch rake or pine needle rake? carl1864 Landscaping & Lawn Care 5 06-05-2011 01:01 PM
Permit For Fire Sprinklers letnes Plumbing 18 10-14-2010 05:23 PM
locating buried sprinkler valves MrLinux Landscaping & Lawn Care 3 08-15-2009 12:50 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts