Can You Help Identify Lawn Invasion Plant? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-02-2016, 09:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 133

Can you help identify lawn invasion plant?

This may be some invasive species or a malformation of the existing lawn grass by some agent. I can't tell. Area: like Seattle
Circular, oval patches of thick, matted, off shade green grassy material appear and grow out in the lawn. Likes sun, does not respond to moss killer. Leaves seem rather more feathery/filimented grass like blades. Can dry out faster than the lawn leaving drier looking matted patches in lawn.
My remedy will be to kill the patch with total wipeout herbicide, Dig out and replace the soil and reseed in the spring. Heavy rains have completely leached out the herbicide. This works perfectly well on crab grass. However, would appreciate knowing if any specific herbicide would work too.

In the photos it is a little hard to distinguish from the grass itself, but shows clearly patches on the actual lawn in reality.

[IMG]http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u172/dcrane_2007/73a_zpsy***s8cq.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Hossenfeffer; 09-02-2016 at 09:32 AM. Reason: photo correction
Hossenfeffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2016, 09:54 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,170

Re: Can you help identify lawn invasion plant?

I can't really see anything that doesn't look like grass. If it is another type of grass, it's been my experience little will affect a weed/undesired grass which won't also take out the desired grass in the process. Around here, we pour RoundUp (or other 2% glyophosphate product) into a cup and use a small brush to 'paint' the leaves of the offending plant.

I don't see the need to replace the soil, as you have indicated. That said, have you had a soil test done?
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2016, 07:52 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,758

Re: Can you help identify lawn invasion plant?

It's hard to tell if that's another plant or just your grass being sick or damaged from some kind of fungus or disease. Ditto on the soil test idea. Do you fertilize, do you lime, do you treat for bugs, has it been unusually wet? It looks like you have been mowing very low.
ChuckF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement