Buy An Inexpensive Weed Wacker? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes

Old 08-14-2016, 11:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,114

Buy an inexpensive weed wacker?

Hi;
A couple weeks ago, I purchased a B&D model HT22 electric hedge trimmer. I am very happy with the tool, which cost me only $50 at HD. Now, I'm thinking of buying an inexpensive weed wacker. Again, I am looking at corded electric models. I don't want to spend more than about $50, so I'm looking at the B&D GH900 14" string trimmer.

1st question: Is there really an advantage to double-string over single-string models?

2nd question: String problems:

Looking at the reviews on Amazon and HD, I see that some users are having trouble with the auto-feed feature. From what I know about this, it can get stuck, refusing to feed new string - or, it can feed too much string, or feed too often, wasting a lot of string.
I get the idea that when these tools are boxed, then shipped, the spool gets messed up, and needs to be rewound before using. That may fix some of the feed problems. IMHO, I would rather have a manual-feed trimmer, but it doesn't appear to be an option - at least not on the inexpensive electric models.
So, aside from any other issues associated with an inexpensive tool, would it be possible to modify the spool on an auto-feed trimmer like the B&D GH900 so that it becomes a manual feed string?
Or, could I replace the auto-feed spool with a manual-feed spool?
I plan to purchase bulk string and wind my own spools.

Your advice?

Thanks

FW

Last edited by Ultrarunner2017; 08-14-2016 at 12:16 PM.
Ultrarunner2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2016, 01:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 144

Re: Buy an inexpensive weed wacker?

If you want to spend $50 every 6 - 12 months on these tools and then buy them again and consider it a bargain ,go for it.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mako1 For This Useful Post:
Ultrarunner2017 (08-14-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2016, 01:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako1 View Post
If you want to spend $50 every 6 - 12 months on these tools and then buy them again and consider it a bargain ,go for it.
Sounds reasonable. So, how much should I expect to pay for a decent weed/grass trimmer - corded electric?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2016, 02:10 PM   #4

I don't really know.I make a living with my tools so buy the best I can afford.I do understand your situation is not the same but the B&D tools seem to be very low quality.these tools are engineered to hold up for so many hours before they fail.
Don't take my word for it you can look it up.
I am also not a fan of Ryobi tools but have a lot of friends that have used them and have good results.I would consider them over the B&D any day.
I do understand being on a budget but would put out a little extra for the Ryobi (still a budget tool) but the quality is better.They can be found at the big box stores on sale most of the time.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:14 PM   #5

I have my doubts about any power tool that costs under $100, but considering the light use these landscaping tools get from me, I decided to take my chances on the hedge trimmer. I didn't read anything glaring in the reviews on the HT22, but on the GH900 I did read a lot of negative reviews on the string issues. I will take a look at the Ryobi string trimmers though. My thought on cheap tools is that, if it breaks, I may be able to fix it, and maybe even to improve its operation.

Old 08-14-2016, 07:29 PM   #6

Problem with that idea is the parts for these lower end tools sometimes cost half of the original price of the tool.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:50 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 17,884

Any tap and go line is going to get tanged up at some time.
Might take a whole min. to pop off the head and get it straight.
I'm using Stihl trimmers that cost 5 times as much and there still getting twisted.
No way would I want a single line trimmer!!!
Ultrarunner2017 (08-14-2016)
Old 08-14-2016, 08:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Any tap and go line is going to get tanged up at some time.
Might take a whole min. to pop off the head and get it straight.
I'm using Stihl trimmers that cost 5 times as much and there still getting twisted.
No way would I want a single line trimmer!!!
Thanks. That's good info. If only I could afford a landscaper to do the work for me

Old 08-16-2016, 04:05 PM   #9

I have decided to buy this:

Inexpensive, no string to replace, easy to use, almost zero carbon footprint, good exercise.

Old 08-18-2016, 04:32 PM   #10

On second thought... this tool appears to be of low quality/not sharp enough, according to the reviews. Anyone know where I can buy a real - european scythe?

Old 08-18-2016, 05:25 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,778

Not sure why you specify european. Is it quality, or you think they were not used here.
Here is a real ash snath (scythe handle). Look at the bottom of the page for scythe blades to go with it.

https://www.amazon.com/Seymour-Manuf...rds=Wood+snath

Lehmans.com also sells snaths, scythe blades, and scythe kits.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 06:25 PM   #12

I'm thinking European because of the style - with the handle about midway on the shaft. At least that's what it was called in the YouTube vid I saw.
Thanks for the link.

Old 08-19-2016, 09:47 AM   #13
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,414

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE2KB View Post
Hi;
A couple weeks ago, I purchased a B&D model HT22 electric hedge trimmer. I am very happy with the tool, which cost me only $50 at HD. Now, I'm thinking of buying an inexpensive weed wacker. Again, I am looking at corded electric models. I don't want to spend more than about $50, so I'm looking at the B&D GH900 14" string trimmer.

1st question: Is there really an advantage to double-string over single-string models?

2nd question: String problems:
I cannot advise regarding brands of electric weedwackers. My experience is with years of lawn-care service using gas models.

I will say this about the string... Get one with double string! The larger diameter string the better. Second, it's important to be able to EASILY remove the tap-head to replace the string. You go through a lot more of it than you'd think.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:56 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,452

Nobody has asked the question yet, how big is your yard? Are you using the weedeater to edge all the grass where it meets concrete? Do you have grass to trim that grows against brick, stone, or another type of hard scrape material? I trim 2 acres with two houses on it, three drives, a multitude of trees and over half of it hardscaped. My last Stihl FS76 was over twenty years old. I gave it to my son recently and he is still using it. Bought a Stihl FS130 to replace it. It's a beast. Can't comment on the economy ones, I don't ever buy anything like that.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:13 AM   #15

No gas trimmers for me. For one, my property is only 50x100, and there really isn't enough to trim that would warrant a gas-powered machine. Second, I don't like gas powered mowers/trimmers. IMO, they are far too loud, and polluting.
The scythe would be used mainly for cutting heavier weeds, which grow up along the driveway. But that wouldn't help me for edging the sidewalk and drive. The best tool would probably be an electric string trimmer, but I don't like what I've seen for under $100 in the electric models. Perhaps I should increase my budget, and start looking at battery powered, rather than just plug-in. There are far more choices for battery than electric (plug-in). But in that case, I know that I need to spend much more $$, since the battery isn't cheap, and a poor quality battery is worse than no battery, or even gasoline.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
string trimmer , weed eater , weed wacker