Bush Dying? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-05-2015, 06:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Bush Dying?

Hi everyone,

I have a bush (can't recall species) in my front porch that seems to be dying. I planted it a couple years ago and has been doing well until around January of this year. I water it consistently and it spends about equal times of the day in the direct sun and shade. I have pruned off some of the dead branches in hopes of helping it bounce back. I didn't notice any bugs around it either. Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
marcos.cristal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2015, 06:10 PM   #2

Sorry, the system won't allow me to post a picture of the bush since this is my first post. Disregard.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2015, 06:11 PM   #3

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2015, 06:25 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 188

That looks like a boxwood. I have a bunch that have the same issue every year. It's either from the cold or wind. The dead leaves will drop off and if the branches are alive, new leaves will fill in. If the branches are dead, prune them out and it will fill in.
Colbyt (05-06-2015)
Old 05-06-2015, 12:38 PM   #5

You are right it is a boxwood. Thanks for the advice I will give it time.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:40 PM   #6

Location: SE Michigan, zone 5/6 depending on winter intensity
Rewards Points: 72

Same thing happened to me in 2014 after a tough winter. Mine faced prevailing westerly winds which apparently dried them out.

I waited until fall to see if the plants would recover; they continued to die back at the top so eventually I trimmed them. This year, there's even more dieback, but we also had a record setting cold winter.

You could prune back the dead portions and watch to see if anything more dies back, or if the plant develops new shoots where it was pruned.

Your shrub seems to be dying from the top, as mine did, so there might be some desiccation issues involved and that portion may actually be dying.

If you want to save it, take cuttings now and let them root to start new plants. You may also have some sprouts on the adjacent ground, as I found. Last year was a record year for seedlings from my shrub - there must be over 50 - 60 seedlings, so I'll dig those up and plant those.
NorthernWinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement