Burying Gutter Downspouts - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2019, 12:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 80

Burying gutter downspouts

I plan on burying the gutter downspouts of my house, which sits on a fairly flat lot. The plan is to place a 12x12 catch basin underneath each downspout and run 30ft of 4" PVC pipe underground and away from the house and a pop-up emitter at the very end. I've read that the minimum pitch needed is 1/4"/foot. That means the end of the pipe will be at least 7 1/2" below the catch basin outlet, I'm afraid that this might be too low for the pop-up emitter? Please share your thoughts. Thanks.
cchean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2019, 12:19 AM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 20,340

Re: Burying gutter downspouts

A catch basin near the house will be good for mosquitoes, 1/8" per foot should work, you could also just put in a dry well with the last so many feet of pipe perforated.
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2019, 08:09 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 6,122

During a heavy rain the amount of water coming off your roof will be extreme. With the catch basin that close if it overflows it will be right next to the house.

A flat (or almost flat) yard is a difficult place to drain water. Do you have any low areas on your property? Even the pop-up at the end needs some slope to move that water away.

Bud
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2019, 09:55 AM   #4
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 2,038

Ditto on eliminating the catch basins, pipe the downspout direct with a PVC transition. Also agree can use 1/8"per ft, and if want, perforated the last 10' or so to drain out. Because of the 90d turn for the pop-up elbow, that may set up your slope for a flat grade right there. You'll get water sitting in the end, but a hole in the elbow drains that.
3onthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 01:14 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 80

Thanks to all replies so far.

The reason I opted for the catch basins was that I read that the drain line could get clogged with leaves if connected directly to the downspouts. Eliminating them would be easier and cheaper, though.

I am not using the corrugated pipe. Instead, I am using 4" PVC pipe, three 10ft sections, connected using pvc primer and cement. Once i dig the trench, should I use gravel or just plain dirt to get the correct pitch?
cchean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 04:21 PM   #6
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 2,038

If you got a lot of leaves your downspout inlet at the gutter will clog first. But with smooth wall pipe, any here and there will blow out. For me the first big rain every spring flushes them clean. Don't glue the pop-up cap so you can clean anything out if needed though.

With solid pipe, no gravel needed. With only 3 pipes, just set the slope at entry and exit, any overdigging lower along the way will be filled in by backfill, as long as you break up the dirt small enough to go under the pipe and tamp it a little. If you do use perforated the last 10' to dispose of some water, that will need gravel and a sock or fabric wrap.

Last edited by 3onthetree; 07-20-2019 at 04:24 PM.
3onthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 02:55 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 578

I would put in a NDS Flo-Well kit - price is $125 plus some gravel and your time but it holds 50 gallons of water and then slowly releases it into the ground around it.

https://www.ndspro.com/flo-well-kit.html
Calson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement