Building Flowerbed Wall - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-23-2016, 03:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 463

Building Flowerbed wall

Sometime soon the wife would like for me to build/install a retaining wall for our flowerbeds.

Our front yard kind of slopes on both sides so that may make it challanging, also during hard rains we lose a lot of dirt to the run off.

We have found the retaining wall block we want but now comes the time to plan everything so it is done proper!!

I always want to do things myself rather then hire a contractor. I am good with my hands and have always done everything, so far we have only hired someone to grind a stump in our yard.

I have attached a few photos to give everyone an idea of what we want. I rand a string line on the 3 sides we want the retaining wall and made sure to get it level.

I do have a few questions.

1. Can the retaining wall be "stepped" or does it all need to be the same depth all the way around? Im not sure how to explain this?

2. How far down do we need to dig to make sure it is sturdy?

3. Base? Gravel or sand? How deep should that go?

This is what we have been thinking we want.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/7-in-x-12...-100538626-_-N
Attached Thumbnails
Building Flowerbed wall-image1.jpg   Building Flowerbed wall-image2.jpg   Building Flowerbed wall-image3.jpg  
cincinnati guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2016, 03:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 463

Re: Building Flowerbed wall

additional photos
Attached Thumbnails
Building Flowerbed wall-image4.jpg   Building Flowerbed wall-image5.jpg   Building Flowerbed wall-image6.jpg  
cincinnati guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2016, 03:56 PM   #3
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

Re: Building Flowerbed wall

If you select segmental concrete blocks that are designed for use in a retaining wall, the manufacturer will typically include explicit directions on how to build the wall. The wall can certainly be stepped, pretty common. Since each block manufacturer has different instructions, be sure to get the appropriate directions for the particular block you select. If the manufacturer does not have directions for building a wall, you probably do not have blocks designed for a wall, and you may want to look at a different manufacturer.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement