Bracken Fern Invasion - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-20-2019, 02:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 162

Bracken Fern Invasion

A lot of my 8 acres has bracken fern, it's that fern that starts as a fiddlehead and then grows into a 5 foot monster within weeks. It's a major problem in the UK where it has taken over miles of heath area. Hikers are warned to wear masks as the spores are linked to leukemia and it even passes toxins into ground water.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bracken

Anyway I've been dealing with it for years by cutting, it's said that constant cutting will eventually starve the root system which can run for miles. This is year 3 and my non-chemical cutting efforts are not paying off. I'm not totally against chemicals but apparently making the soil very acidic, above ph8.6, helps. It also loves hillsides which drain well and that is exactly where mine is thriving.

Anyone dealt with this invasive plant? How hard is it to raise PH level on 5-6 acres?
arcticranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
bracken , fern , ph level , weeds