Big Box (HD, Lowes) Grass Seed (Scotts) Vs Local "selected" Grass Seed (no Filler) - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-10-2017, 08:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 424

Big box (HD, Lowes) Grass Seed (Scotts) vs Local "selected" Grass Seed (no filler)

I'm on the fence between buying Scott's Grass Seed at the local Home Depot
or buying "selected" seed by a local Garden Center in NJ.
I just got off the phone with the owner of a local Garden Center who proclaims
that the Scotts seed that you buy at Home Depot etc is infused with "fillers"
and is therefore not as effective as his own "carefully" selected seed that he sells that has NO FILLER IN IT.

Is there a difference?

I have 3000 sq feet of a backyard with enough sunlight on it to fill with seed
after I till all of the weeds (90% of it is weeds) with a Tiller Machine, then seed
then throw some topsoil on top.

Thanks!
HTFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2017, 02:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 122

Re: Big box (HD, Lowes) Grass Seed (Scotts) vs Local "selected" Grass Seed (no filler

The only experience I have between a big box store vs a local "Garden Center" is when I purchase my winter rye seed each year I don't purchase the seed from the box store because I can get (in my opinion) just as good or better quality and it's priced much less at a lawn care distributor. I will say I've had very good results with Scotts Perennial Rye seed though.

Last edited by Joeycarnuba; 05-10-2017 at 02:40 PM.
Joeycarnuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2017, 08:56 PM   #3
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,218

Re: Big box (HD, Lowes) Grass Seed (Scotts) vs Local "selected" Grass Seed (no filler

I've tried both over the years and frankly I can't tell the difference, although I will disclose I'm not that particular about my lawn. I find both will give you some weeds. The advantage with the garden centre is you can usually get custom mixes or simply mix-and-match from their bins and combine at home. On the other hand, Scott's etc. is more likely to go on sale at a retailer at certain times of the year. I just picked up some Scott's at almost half off.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2017, 10:12 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4,356

Perhaps the "filler" he's talking about is the coating on Scott's to hold in moisture. I use Pennington because I like the coating that repels birds. But, with all the rain the coating became a soggy mess, but this year only.

If you have the time, you could try a small bag of each & grow a little in a small tub under good conditions. That will tell you which grass seed works better for you.
Nik333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:38 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 342

If you read the grass seed bag it will tell you filler percentage. Generally, the lower the price, the more filler.
If I was doing that big of an area, I would probably go with the local guy, if he guarantees his seed.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:13 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 4,170

The local guy might also have a better mix for your area.

As I mentioned in your other post, please kill the weeds before you till or they will be back in short order.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement