Best Weed Control In Northeast - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2015, 07:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 322

Best weed control in northeast

Many years ago I switched to all organic products for my lawn and other than weeds (specifically crabgrass) I have been very successful. Last year I used liquid concentrated corn gluten meal for the crabgrass control and I swear that stuff fed the crabgrass! It causes significant damage in middle of the lawn after I pulled it.

I give you up trying to control crabgrass organically so curious if any has any thoughts on what is the best pre emergent weed preventer. I perfer one without fertilizer so I can use my organic fert.

Thanks
mske390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2015, 09:13 PM   #2
TruproServices.com

Rewards Points: 80

The studies I've seen with corn gluten indicate that its only slightly effective initially but over time crabgrass will gain control. I checked the Home Depot site and most products are weed and feed. There was a Spectracide product that's labeled to prevent crabgrass but the reviews weren't good. You may want to consider the help of a professional.

Last edited by TruproServices; 04-11-2015 at 09:25 PM.
TruproServices is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2015, 06:31 AM   #3
Lord of Slums

Rewards Points: 1,974

What was the ground temp when you applied the corn gluten. Why the liquid form. I have heard all sorts of thing about corn gluten, the most important is that the time it is applied is very important.
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2015, 03:42 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 322

ground temps were below 50 degree and used liquid concentrated as I've been told it is more cost effective. Provides same value as granular for a fraction of the cost.

Time is important when applying, I have not used anything for last few years as I've been trying to stay organic so when it came out I pulled by hand. Lasy year was the worst year for crab grass, not sure if it was something else but is odd that I apply CG and crabgrass went rampant.

Went with Scotts Halts this year!
mske390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:41 PM   #5
Lord of Slums

Rewards Points: 1,974

I try and stay organic as well. If you are in it for the long run, I would have your soil tested. Find out the ph and what you need. This is my second year going organic and I find it very interesting to study. I see Scoots and the rest having an organic line soon. If they do not already have that.
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:28 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 292

I also try to stay organic. When I bought this house 14+ years back, the crab grass sprouted in July and oh my! Must admit I resorted to the Weed B Gone Plus with crab grass control included, and walked around spraying for the first 3 years. Now no need for that.
Freedomsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:40 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,652

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruproServices View Post
The studies I've seen with corn gluten indicate that its only slightly effective initially but over time crabgrass will gain control. I checked the Home Depot site and most products are weed and feed. There was a Spectracide product that's labeled to prevent crabgrass but the reviews weren't good. You may want to consider the help of a professional.
I have tried a number of different Spectracide products and found them all to be very disappointing. Done with that name.
Advertisement